Micron size

smt126

When prepping fossils with an air abrasive unit, what is the micron size of the dust created? I've been looking on here, googling, etc trying to find some data on this with no luck. I know it varies on what you're working on and substrate for blasting, but wondering if anyone knows what the smallest particle size is released from the prep work?

Particles less than 5 microns are the hazardous ones.  Healthy human lungs cannot efficiently expel particles smaller than 5 microns.  The result may be lung scarring, silicosis (= black lung disease).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I prep with a shop vac running to pick up the larger dust and I wear a NIOSH P100 rated respirator with a filter rating down to .3 microns. The one I wear also has a cartridge to absorb acid fumes and organic vapors as well as the particulate filter. It is uncomfortable as all get out but covers me in the pulmonary department for anything I need to do in the prep lab (not to mention grinding steel when forging knives).

• I found this Informative 2

Yea I've found dust collectors that go down to 2, with bags you can buy that go to 1. I was just curious how small this dust can get. If you're wearing a respirator that's fine during the time, however you'll never truly get those small particles out of where they blow around, thus contaminating pretty much where you are working permanently. That's why you have to basically ET your house when you do asbestos removal as those particles will float around for years.

That being said, every museum open viewing prep lab I've gone to, I never see them wearing more than a standard dust mask. I know they have those nice filtration/dust collectors, but those aren't going to catch all the plume that gets into the air.

im very meticulous when I plan things, so just trying to educate myself as much as I can.

• I found this Informative 1

On a side note, I'm pretty sure my wife is going to kill me when I finally create this space. 

5 hours ago, smt126 said:

On a side note, I'm pretty sure my wife is going to kill me when I finally create this space. 

Naw, by the time she figures it out, it will be too late!

If you're a meticulous cleaner, I would suggest not getting into fossil prep. :P There's no way you're going to keep your place like a clean room. It's all about trade offs.

I don't care about mess, just the health aspect as I work in the medical field. I'm leaning toward building a small shed to contain it all in. the city I live in is ridiculous about sheds though, so I might just tuck it right next to the house in the back yard where they hopefully won't see it.

I mentioned to her today about possibly building a shed in the backyard for fossil prep this year or next. She told me to go ahead and get my fossils out of the garage while I'm at it lol. I literally am taking up about 1 car worth of space in fossils in our garage right now.

I've seen those here in Texas as well. They look pretty nice. I've seriously thought about doing something similar but I'm just too lazy to move all my stuff. I'm sure my wife would appreciate me not making a big mess in the garage all the time but I'd just make a mess with something else. :P

Build it now while you have implied permission!