Ichthyosaurus tooth?

Napoleon North

Hi

This is ichthyosaurus tooth?

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

That looks more tooth-like with the striations visible, but it is also very worn.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm in the rock camp. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well, I suppose we'll just have to wait until the tooth experts chime in. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I see something and it could be a tooth root from some sort of marine reptile, but very worn, that line and the change in texture. I am not 100% convinced. 

Based from what I can see in the photos the root shape looks like what I would expect from an ichthyosaur.

The little bit of the crown left makes it a bit hard to identify though so any ID is still tentative. 

I would call it ichthyosaur based on the photos as I do not know another marine or terrestrial reptile that has teeth that grow in a canal as apposed to a socket in the jaw giving the root the squarish look.

Mike D'Arcy 

Here are a few teeth for a bit of comparison of the root shape.

The one on the left would be the best match for your specimen.

Mike

Ick teeth DSC_0004.JPG

23 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Based from what I can see in the photos the root shape looks like what I would expect from an ichthyosaur.

The little bit of the crown left makes it a bit hard to identify though so any ID is still tentative. 

I would call it ichthyosaur based on the photos as I do not know another marine or terrestrial reptile that has teeth that grow in a canal as apposed to a socket in the jaw giving the root the squarish look.

Mike D'Arcy 

Yes, I agree having read your comments and re-looking at the original and your images Mike. 

That's a great collection you have!

Archived