Pilobolus

It's been a good week for fossiling in New Mexico...found this one in a dry wash in west-central NM. The nearest upstream units were (from nearest to far) kmf-Menefee, kpl-Point Lookout Sandstone and the Satan tongue of the Mancos shale (kms).

I've always thought of the Western Interior Seaway as fairly shallow and the shark a deep variety, but the lit says the extant cousin patrols 100m to 1,300m and the WIS was as deep as 750, so there's habitat, I would think.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

goblin_1.jpg

Goblin_2.jpg

Looks either Goblin or Sandtiger. If you look on a geological map for your area and observe that the area where you found the tooth was Cretaceous then the tooth is most likely a goblin.

: )

13 minutes ago, Pilobolus said:

I've always thought of the Western Interior Seaway as fairly shallow and the shark a deep variety, but the lit says the extant cousin patrols 100m to 1,300m and the WIS was as deep as 750, so there's habitat, I would think.

Thoughts?

Modern goblin sharks are deep water but Scapanorhynchus teeth are found in shallow marine deposits and possibly brackish water too.

looks like a goblin to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Yeah, it's Scapanorhynchus for sure.  Sand tigers of that area and time just don't get that big.  It would guess it's from the Point Lookout Sandstone which is well-known for bearing shark teeth - abundant in at least a couple of sites - but only because I don't know of any occurrences of shark teeth in the other layers you noted (shark teeth certainly come out of the Mancos Shale in at least Colorado and Utah).

Archived