Poterioceras Or Conularid?

Roger

While collecting in the Finis Shale (Pennsylvanian) near Jacksboro, TX, I came across this interesting piece. When I looked at it in the field I thought that it was a short stubby Conularid but when I cleaned it up and looked at more closely (ie under the magnifying lite) it did not have the proper appearance of a Conularia. I did some research and in "Pennsylvania Fossils of North Texas" (McKinzie andMcLeod) published by the Dallas Paleo Society, I came across the picture and description of a cephalopod called Poterioceras which looked a lot like the fossil I have (general size, shape, growth lines and, of course, location).

So I put it to you - what do you think?

this image gives the size - scale: x-axis = inches y axis = mm

9be29d49.jpg

This image shows the growth lines

3c5989e8.jpg

Finally this image taken on end shows the slight curvature from top to bottom (sorry depth of field went with the close up)

309b0bc3.jpg

Thanks

Roger,

I can see why you initially thought it was a Conularid and I agree that it is not. I think it may well be a Nautiloid and could very well be Poterioceras sp. I am just not that familiar with Nautiloids. My book calls Poterioceras a short stout nautiloid.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Roger,

I can see why you initially thought it was a Conularid and I agree that it is not. I think it may well be a Nautiloid and could very well be Poterioceras sp. I am just not that familiar with Nautiloids. My book calls Poterioceras a short stout nautiloid.

JKFoam

Thanks - JK - I have an email out to Mark McKinzie (one of the authors of the book I referenced) and I believe that he'll be able to tie down the ID once he replies. He's an oil geologist and works off shore quite a bit. I'll keep you informed when he gets back to me.

btw - <My book calls Poterioceras a short stout nautiloid> I don't know why the people that name things don't have some fun once in a while . for example rather than "Poterioceras" how about "Teapotoceras" - after all it is short and stout!!!

Roger

Roger,

I have known a couple of Taxonomist in the past and they were generally as fun loving a group as you would ever want to meet. But, I have to tell you none of them would ever dream of taking liberties with a Genus name. Now the species name is another matter. How about "Poterioceras teapotii".

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite