Hi guys and gals .. is this a shark coprolite ?

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi there,

My eyes really aren't trained yet to spot shark coprolites but I know they are here. This popped up in my sifter on Friday and was curious if this is the real deal.  It sorta looks right and has a spiral .. but then again the phosphate nodules can take on all kinds of shapes and I've been fooled before. @GeschWhat ... I know you are the queen of poo.  I mean with the utmost of respect of course.

01_SummervilleSC_Coprolite_062317.thumb.jpg.25d46ab8e859f2b66e1c89e096bd8769.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Yes, I'm sure it is. According to the authoritative tome 'A Really Crappy Story' the spiral shape is due to the sharks spiral intestinal valve. 

Violet. 

• I found this Informative 2

21 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I concur with Violet (the others). :D It looks to be a spiral coprolite. It may be from a shark, but it could also be from a ray, skate, lungfish or a few other fish that have a spiral valve.

Poop is the best!

Fantastic .. thanks.  Better that I'm more correct in my description. I appreciate the information !

Cheers,

Brett

I agree that it is a fish coprolite, and I agree that it is a "scroll" coprolite, which is much rarer than the standard spiral fish coprolite. Very well done!