Is this dinosaur egg real or a composite?

Wowbnjijdat

Hi guys,

It is me agian with the question if the dinosaur egg is real. I whould love to have a dinosaur egg, but because all the fakes out there I really need your opinions :)

It seems really real to me because of the partial other egg on the side. But the inside of the egg looks suspicious so it could be a composite..

Kind regards,

JK

$_57.JPG

$_58.JPG

$_59.JPG

h.JPG

h1.JPG

h2.JPG

h3.JPG

h4.JPG

h5.JPG

h6.JPG

h7.JPG

I would lean toward it being real and the missing eggshell is evidence toward that.   If it was a composite those areas void of eggshell would not be there. Matrix looks good.  I would have a concern with this egg that the shell material is not stable and might continue to break off.

• I found this Informative 3

I believe that to be a "real" specimen, (e.g. not cobbled together, but as found). It appears to have an abutting partial and the entire piece screams for a careful prep. I like it.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

18 minutes ago, Wowbnjijdat said:
5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I would lean toward it being real and the missing eggshell is evidence toward that.   If it was a composite those areas void of eggshell would not be there. Matrix looks good.  I would have a concern with this egg that the shell material is not stable and might continue to break off.

Thats is a really good point, Troodon! The seller had another egg for sale with the same 'problem', the egg shell was broken off and was given in a plastic bag... That will be a real shame for me because I don't have the knowledge or the tools to preperate the egg..

If the egg is properly consolidated (hardened) and shipped appropriately it should not be a problem.  The seller might be willing to guarantee a safe arrival.

I'd say that looks pretty real. Of course one should still be very careful with Chinese eggs since there are just so many fakes out there.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Looks very real to me. As Troodon said, the missing piece supports that. The individual shell pieces also seem to fit together.

The egg is real and it appears there is a substantial amount of shell left in the concave second egg that could be salvaged to fill the void in the first egg. 

It's real. As Troodon said, the missing eggshell is a good indication.

It could look real good with prep.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I thought about buying that off the big auction site this morning as well lol. I was sad after I lost 3 auctions in the last minute in a 15 minute span. It looked real to me when I saw it on there, but as others said it looks a bit unstable. You'll probably have some damage during shipping, but hopefully nothing you can't glue back together. probably should seal it up after like others said too. You can get butvar and acetone on amazon, mix it, and seal it.

Looks real but like Troodon says, not very stable and more shell will likely fall off in the future.  Like RJR stated, you may be able to glue the peices back on without too much difficulty.

The one thing that I like about this is that you can see part the the egg shell from the egg that was next to it in the matrix in the 4th and 6th pictures.  Makes it a little different than most single hadrosaur eggs on the market.