Unknown Pa fossil

Skd5337

Hello, 

I am brand new to this forum and would like to start things off with a fossil I found yesterday in North Central Pa. It was found in a side cut along a highway amongst shale and siltstone. I have no idea what it is but am leaning towards some type or coral maybe?? Let me know your thoughts. And the fossil was found in the hole of the rock that I had split open. Thanks! 

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

Edited by Skd5337

10 minutes ago, Skd5337 said:

Hello, 

I am brand new to this forum and would like to start things off with a fossil I found yesterday in North Central Pa. It was found in a side cut along a highway amongst shale and siltstone. I have no idea what it is but am leaning towards some type or coral maybe?? Let me know your thoughts. And the fossil was found in the hole of the rock that I had split open. Thanks! 

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

I think it's a brachiopod mold (cast?).

2 hours ago, EMP said:

I think it's a brachiopod mold (cast?).

I agree, you can see the ridges in the one picture. Might be a spiriferid?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree, you can see the ridges in the one picture. Might be a spiriferid?

I would say so. Hard to tell what genus though, maybe Spinocyrtia sp. or something like it.

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, EMP said:

I would say so. Hard to tell what genus though, maybe Spinocytia sp. or something like it.

Awesome thank you! Thought it was an interesting find, I'll know next time as I'm am an amateur collector.