Fossil hunting at horseshoe Canyon

small204

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. I am doing a school project ( fossil report) and struggling to find what i am looking for. I have never looked for fossils before and believe i may have missed what i was looking for today. I went out for a nice hike at horseshoe canyon in alberta. it was amazing, however i could not find any fossils. ( at least i think i didnt after looking at some pictures of this forum i may have and just missed them) I am a complete amateur. i did find a map on here for horseshoe canyon but still did not have much luck. i was hoping some one can help point me in the right direction. is there an area in the canyon that is best to look at? but most importantly what am i looking for? How do i know what is a fossil and what is well just rock. I feel silly asking but i am so intrigued and planning on making another trip out on friday. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

12 minutes ago, small204 said:

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me. I am doing a school project ( fossil report) and struggling to find what i am looking for. I have never looked for fossils before and believe i may have missed what i was looking for today. I went out for a nice hike at horseshoe canyon in alberta. it was amazing, however i could not find any fossils. ( at least i think i didnt after looking at some pictures of this forum i may have and just missed them) I am a complete amateur. i did find a map on here for horseshoe canyon but still did not have much luck. i was hoping some one can help point me in the right direction. is there an area in the canyon that is best to look at? but most importantly what am i looking for? How do i know what is a fossil and what is well just rock. I feel silly asking but i am so intrigued and planning on making another trip out on friday. 

Thanks for any help you can provide. 

I've never been to Canada, but first make sure your looking in sedimentary rock, I'm guessing your looking for some shale (normally thinly bedded brittle material) or sandstone (lighter grainier material). Fossils typically are a slightly different color and are usually raised, lowered or have a different texture. Splitting these rocks can reveal fossils, or picking up material that has eroded out of the side. bone will be porous and will usually stick to a moist finger (though this is controversial). You may also find teeth, ammonites (spiral shaped cephalopods), and many more types of fossils. In general, if you see an odd-shaped rock, pop it on the fossil ID section of the fossil forum and we will tell you if it's a fossil and what type. Hope this helps, and i hope someone with knowledge of the area and a willingness to share a site chimes in!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Welcome to TFF!

Many limestones are also fossiliferous. They tend to be thick beds of greyish rock (the type where caverns are found).

Look for the age of the rocks or formations in the area. Then look at fossils/pictures of similar aged fossils. This will help You to know what to look for in any area.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@Canadawest can help check out his trips through the badlands.  Around Drumheller mainly a terrestrial deposit although some marine fossils may be found.  

Here are a few of his trips checkout the type of material he finds.  Most of the finds have been washed out of the badlands.   

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/73523-first-cretaceous-adventure-this-year/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70298-last-cretaceous-adventure-this-year/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/69862-summery-november-hike-in-the-badlands/

• I found this Informative 1