Calvert Cliffs unknown

Fossil-Hound

A friend asked me to post this to acquire an I'd. He believes it's a turtle scute but the side view makes this item appear like a mollusk. Wouldn't a turtle scute be darker and denser? The item is lightweight it does have some interesting patterns. What are your thoughts? I believe this is a mollusk segment but am unsure of what species as I believe this is only a piece of the organism.

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Totally agree with Tony,sea urchin fragment.The zigzag sutures (boundaries between plates) are a dead giveaway(apart from the ornamentation,of course)

Underneath:clypeasterid plates,although the fragment in question might not need not be a clypeasteroid

her29 (1).jpg

rte5pdownloads.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I'm not an expert on these, but a quick check of my photos from the museum there brings up the name Abertalla orberti.

These particular sandollars got to be as big as dinner plates.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I agree. The patterns of the sides are typical to a well-eroded fossil echinoid fragment.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library