Not a clue here, please take a look.

Rocky Stoner

Not a crinoid holdfast or root. 

That looks like the bryozoan, Taeniopora exigua.

Shales from the Mahantango formation are sometimes so full of fossils, they end up being cross bedded, and not splitting properly. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim about the tabulate coral Pleurodictyum, that was my thought also.
In the above picture might be a branching *bryozoan mold, at least that's what I think.

I don't see any Tentaculites like creatures, or imprints of them.

*Tim said it before. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Rocky Stoner said:

This might be some of forked rooting of the Crinoid, possibly ? Each fork disappears into a hole in the shale.

Several of these chunks are riddled with similar holes and tunnels, I may break into them later.

I

IMG_9617.JPG

Agree with Tim, this one is a bryozoan. But it is not the same as the first piece of this thread.

@Rocky Stoner - You have a nice site in Your Yard!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks to all for responding, I can label these now.

While I have your attention, I found two more of interest.

One is a much larger example of the earlier coral (beside the earlier one for reference). Maybe explain the two concanve areas. One with the coral, and the other one empty.

Maybe these were two halves of a shell ?

And the next photo shows a very dimpled surface. Maybe the Crinoid ?

Thanks again folks ... very much !

ScreenHunter_07 Jun. 27 18.47.jpg

IMG_9621.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

"Textured" pics. .....

There must be a time restriction or someone else must post before I can send more pics.

Will try again after this post.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Stoner said:

There must be a time restriction or someone else must post before I can send more pics.

There is a 3 meg limit per post. If you make another reply You should be able to add more pictures.

If that does not work then "refresh" the page.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The previous set of pictures shows very well the Pleurodictyum behavior, probably it depends on the preservation status and the point of view.

Bryozoans are trying to encrust everything they consider to be a good support for their living, including stromatoporoids (which make the same thing).

BTW, you have good pictures. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you for helping to sort these into their proper groupings.

Now, one more please, before I get reprimanded for destroying the yard ......

The following is a chunk I split and "bookmatched" for the photo.

Very busy inside with one unique feature on the lower right side that I haven't seen yet.

Does anyone recognize it ?

I tried to get a better pic, but cannot get the camera to focus at the bottom of the recess.

I'll be off to the other yellow shale plowed patch tomorrow. Hope it rains soon and washes up more of the Orthoceras.

Regards

IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9632.JPG

IMG_9633.JPG

The vertical one (pic.2) is a crinoid (cystoid) column infill, the next one is an echinoderm calyx imprint, possibly crinoid or cystoid.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks sort of like Crinoid Calux, but am not sure.

Just saw your post ynot, I'm with you, thanks !

Crinoid Calux.jpg

plate-19.gif

Thanks abyssunder, you both posted while I was preparing.

the references to the crinoids mention 5 sided, this one looks to be 6 sided which threw me off a bit.

Either a cystoid or crinoid calyx for this one, I think. 

IMG_9633.JPG.003fc736c84120bfd41b57e8d3fe8a20.JPG

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Maybe these two topics would help a little: :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

Thanks ynot, trying again after refresh.

"Textured" pics ....

IMG_9624.JPG

IMG_9625.JPG

These dimples appear to be oolithic limestone.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

These dimples appear to be oolithic limestone.

I think this is yet another example of some sort of bryozoan, ...not oolitic limestone. :unsure: 

Possibly Atactotoechus fruticosus, or Leptotrypella quadrangularis.

Mahantango Formation in West Virginia.

Not allot of Limestone in the Mahantango in WV.

Aren't the dimples on a centimeter scale ? The millimeter scale features look more dome shaped or spherical to me, and there seems to be a greater variance in size than would be expected in places. 

looks like sponge or coral impression but can buy bryozoan. We need a close up of the detail of the dimpled surface.

closeup - 4x / 1000dpi

5953ecd525bc7_IMG_9637.JPG.2d55bae54ac03a614e5038fcd789d70e-41.thumb.JPG.d6f71cd6c8f23a365c8a1c63569e4671.JPG

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, TqB said:

I think Tim @Fossildude19 is right, mould of a bryozoan with monticules.

Of course. If I hadn't been in such a rush to get back to work I may have paid more attention to the size of them. 

Archived