Brand new to forum and shark tooth hunting. Need some veteran help.

jpj3338

Hello all!  I want to go shark hunting for the first time!! My gf and I are making a trip from charlotte to the charleston area for a weekend. Im originally from Chicago, so it is rare that I go to a beach let alone shark tooth hunt. Anyways, It would be a dream to find a great white tooth or megadolon. Sharks have always been my favorite animal (especially a great white). So the thought of finding a tooth is exciting. 

You probably get asked this a lot, but do you know of any specific places (that you are willing) to share to have a decent chance of finding a good tooth? This will just be a weekend trip and then I have to start my new job hours from the beach. So, I will not be depleting fossil locations. Just a fun weekend trip hoping to share some good memories. 

Thank you guys so much,

Jeremy

Thanks ynot! OK I checked out the link. Folly beach looks like a good spot! Any places in summerville good? 

Also will anybody be searching the weekend of July 8-10?

Make the drive to Calvert Cliffs. Well worth it.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I've found teeth on Folly Beach. Make sure to read up on the parking rules there because they're super strict. The teeth were pretty abundant right after their beach renourishment but you can still find teeth and fossils. I've had the best luck finding them around the pier and south towards the county park as the tide is going out. Look wherever there's beach debris/rocks/shells. The teeth will be mostly black so look for dark/shiny triangular objects. Another public spot to check out is Melton Peter Demetre Park on James Island. There's a small parking lot and it's free. Take bug spray. I found a nice tiger shark tooth there last spring and a couple of other small teeth. Again, low tide is best. Lots of rocks and shells at this location so wear shoes. There's also a nice view of the Charleston harbor from this point. Good luck and please post what you find! :) 

I agree with fossil-hound try Calvert cliffs its a great place and is loaded with fossils. Good luck on your future hunts. 

Happy hunting

OK guys thank you so much for your kind replies. I'll make you proud and post what we find. I'll try to convince the gf to go to calvert cliffs as well! 

Thanks again!!

Hey Jeremy,

As previously stated, Folly Beach around the pier is often productive at low tide. I work as a tour guide at Charleston Outdoor Adventures where I lead fossil-hunting tours to an uninhabited island near Charleston. I can assure you that both you and your girlfriend will leave with many beautiful shark teeth. I've had several teeth over 3" found in our first few trips. If you're interested, you can look on our site for available tour dates and some pictures from previous trips.  

Take care,

SOSC

Hey SOSC,

Thanks for the reply! I checked out your site. The trip looks amazing.

Hey Guys, 

Well we returned and we got about 30 teeth! Im not sure how to identify all of them, but it was a good hunt! 

Thanks for all of the help. We went to folly beach by the pier like you all suggested. It was fun!

IMG_4908.JPG

Archived