2-inch cone-shaped Pennsylvanian item

KCMOfossil

This item is from the Winterset Limestone of the Kansas City Group in the Pennsylvanian subsystem.  The two pictures below show the two exposed faces of the fossil.  The first picture shows the circular face, the second shows the triangular/conical face.  I could not find a way to take a picture that would show the entire fossil.  The fossil is about 6 cm tall and 6 cm at the base (the circular face) and appears to me to form a geometric cone-shape that is spiraled.  The circular face is concave and I have excavated some of the matrix from the center area.  I'm interested in doing some further preparation on this item, but I wanted to know what I am dealing with before I proceed.  Any help with an ID will be appreciated.  My guess is a cephalopod.

Russ

Circular face:

5952d3bbcb1cb_bottomoutside.thumb.JPG.0cdad26438d5de74f249cc9caf290582.JPG

Triangular/conical face:

5952d3d989ff3_coneoutside.thumb.JPG.fcdefe52e9bbc96ca296e1c8aaf7a692.JPG

Looks very much like an ammonite to me too, but ive seen some gastropods that look like ammonites.  Im going to side with Missourian on this one.

RB

Gastropod.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Missourian said:

Euconospira

Thank you Missourian et al.  The pictures in your link give me a nice idea of what I am looking at.  If I can get it out of the matrix, I'll post a picture.  

Russ

Archived