Organized fossil digs in November?

BarbaraL

Hi everyone,

I'm turning the big 50 in November (eek), and I want to do something really fun - I was hoping to find some sort of fossil hunting trip either in the US or internationally - ideally would have liked to volunteer on a dinosaur dig somewhere but mid-November doesn't seem to bring anything up.

If anyone has any ideas, much appreciated ! I'm looking on my own as well. Thanks :)

It is summer in Australia during your desired time. Have seen some nice postings from down under. That would make the big 50 a wonderful memory! 

I don't have anything to offer with but my guess is that most organized dinosaur digs in North America are over by November.    Weather both cold and snow typically impact those areas in by mid November.

There is always Shark Tooth Hill with the Ernst Quarries

http://www.sharktoothhillproperty.com/

Also Florida for shark teeth. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

As Tim says, winter is generally a good time to hunt in Florida. Plus there's tons of things to do if you like beaches or theme parks:) of course we are a little thin on dinosaurs lol

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks all! I do need to go to the Peace river one of these days. I'll skip it this time only because I just went to FL last month (no fossils for me) - but the Australia idea is VERY intriguing. 

I spent MY 50th waist deep in a hole that I was pulling Mazon Creek nodules from--and with several TFF members in attendance. I quite enjoyed that one. You don't feel as old when you are digging up 300 myo fossils (but you do feel old the following day unless you eat lots of ibuprofen).

By November the Florida temps should have moderated a bit and the rainy season will be coming to and end. If we don't have a really wet summer, the Peace River might be huntable by then but it will be very early in the season and probably a bit iffy. The Montbrook site which is being worked by the Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) should be opened up again. I've volunteered there a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Have a gander at these links for some Florida-based ideas:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/71986-volunteer-dig-at-montbrook/#comment-757847

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/museum-voices/montbrook/

If you do make it to Florida post word on the forum. Lots of TFF members down here who might be available for a meet-up.

Cheers.

-Ken

If you have any interest in Morocco (which has dinosaurian fossils), I am happy to PM you details :). There are several tour companies that work with fossils with a range in respectability and pricetag, but you can definitely swing the trip on the more affordable side. 

The Kem-Kem fossil beds are a great place to visit, but not incredibly engaging as far as collecting goes; however, if you have any interest in trilobites, the ubiquitous Flexicalymene can be collected fairly close, and there are some awesome Devonian sites as well.