Finding Paleozoic Fossils, Southern California

kolleamm

I've recently started having an interest in Paleozoic fossils simply because I've never actually found any. I live in southern California and recently went near the area of Corona to check out some of the paleozoic rocks. Unfortunately all seemed to be highly meta-morphed with hardly any trace of fossils, if any. So my question is, how do I go about finding paleozoic material in southern California? Are the metamorphed rocks hopeless?

Thanks in advance

As far as Paleozoic fossils in southern California are concerned, the Marble Mountains near Cadiz are probably your best bet.  The site is famous for Cambrian trilobites and occasional brachiopods.  Do your homework before you go though, as it's easy to get lost if you don't have good directions, and (as I'm sure you know) the environment can be deadly to the unprepared.

Don

Wow that's quite a journey! Maybe I should stick to searching for ammonites...

Don't know if it would really be considered Southern California (maybe north-southern, or even southern-central California), but you might want to try Mazourka Canyon. Supposed to be some prime Ordovician and Silurian-age Paleozoic Era invertebrate material there.

Archived