New York Trilobite sites. please

DrDave

I will be in Western NY on Sunday and Monday this coming weekend, and would like some recommendations for sites to visit. I will be travelling from NY City to Canandaigua, and am willing to stop on the way if there is an interesting trilobite collecting site--I am flexible on which way I drive, etc. Since lagerstatten sites such as Walcott Rust are not open to the public, I would love recommendations to sites that are known to be accessible, public or private. If private, please PM me if you think the property owner would be amenable to a request from a solo collector. Specific directions to any recommended site are very appreciated.

I am also happy to meet anyone along the way so I can learn with someone with experience.  

I am interested in trilobite collecting, and would love the chance to find the unusual or less usual species, so the site can be Ordovician, Silurian, or Devonian.  Places that you know have better preservation are preferred, even if it is more difficult or farther to travel there.

Off the beaten track is fine, as long as it doesn't take a long time hiking just to get there, or is very physically strenuous to reach.

I will be making a stop at Penn-Dixie, where I am a member.

I will also be staying on my family's property in Canandaigua that has a creek with trilobite species (see images of trilos collected in May this year). Unfortunately, both of these trilobites I have below were found out of their stratigraphic context so I was wondering of there is any resource you can refer me to that can help me tell which strata are probable for finding trilobites(ie as I walk up the creek, and look at the exposed strata, is there a way to visually recognize each bed in the formation?).

On the paleodb.org maps, the trilobites listed on the east and west shore creeks of Canandaigua Lake are Phacops/Eldregeops and Greenops sp of the Hamilton Group, Moscow and Jaycox Formations.

20170628_132359.thumb.jpg.71cf87fd1b13769ec0f73db924bcc220.jpg

BTW, I gave up on trying to remove matrix on this one, too hard to do in control--I have no pneumatic tools, only a pick and a small hammer. The Penn Dixie matrix is sooo forgiving/easy in comparison!

20170627_201230.thumb.jpg.0d7e8c8cc270d66944f4200e80839b30.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Unusual/less common trilobite fossils are hard to come by. :unsure: 

Deep Springs Road in Earlville, NY (Devonian - Eldredgeops, Greenops, Dipleura), ...  Cole Hill Road in Sangerfield (Devonian - Dipleura) , and Little Falls (Ordovician - Triarthrus)  are a few places I can recommend. 

You might consider a cheap Air abrasion setup for the harder to clean fossils. 

There are numerous threads on that here on the Forum. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@DrDave if you are interested I might be able to meet you at Cole Hill Road, or Deep Springs Road on Sunday. Either one produce nice fossils. Check out my trip reports from the past couple months. Pm me if this interests you.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:49 PM, Darktooth said:

@DrDave if you are interested I might be able to meet you at Cole Hill Road, or Deep Springs Road on Sunday. Either one produce nice fossils. Check out my trip reports from the past couple months. Pm me if this interests you.

@DrDave don't trust @Darktooth !!! He will rob you and leave you on the side of the road!!! :ninja: :default_faint:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I would only do that to you, @Fossil-Hound:muahaha: Rob you of your precious Ecphoras, and your lovely little Bella.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Archived