Heya,

Skye and I received this as a wedding gift and we're wondering if it really is mammoth hair, or is it yak? Or even fibrous plant material? We're both scratching our heads as to whether it actually is even hair.

IMG_6565.PNG

IMG_6566.PNG

IMG_6567.PNG

IMG_6568.PNG

IMG_6569.PNG

Forgot a pic.

IMG_6571.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I think, SEM resolution images would reveal more details of what could be there. I have a feeling that some of the elements (or maybe all ?) look like plant material, but's just a thought.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm not an expert on Mammoth hair but I recently bought some and it doesn't quite look like yours. Yours really looks like dried plant material to me but again I don't claim to be an expert.

Mammoth Hairs-l1600.jpg

I have a bunch of mammoth hair too, but it doesn't look like yours.  The leafy looking blades on the shafts are not normal.  I know this is a weird suggestion, but when you burn hair, it has  particular smell.  Just a thought.....;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

There's clearly plant material there, but that doesn't mean it's all plant. Some high resolution macro photos might help.

I think the plant detritus adds to the specimens mystique. My guess, it's legit mammoth hair contaminated with some very old, previously frozen vegetation. If mammoths get frozen, so should mammoth food stuffs. Pop a strand under a microscope. You should be able to see the distinctive "scaly" texture of hair.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Based on the pic, it seems very not bendy (great terminology I know) and from what I've heard mammoth hair is rather bendy

Please do correct me if I'm wrong

Doesn't look like mine either. Do you know where it was purchased from? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I would agree that something doesn't quite look right. Hair is transparent, when looking from under a microscope this is quite visible. An easy test would be to pluck one of you own hairs and see how they compare. Sure we humans are not the same as mammoths, but it might give an indication.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

16 hours ago, snolly50 said:

I think the plant detritus adds to the specimens mystique. My guess, it's legit mammoth hair contaminated with some very old, previously frozen vegetation. If mammoths get frozen, so should mammoth food stuffs. Pop a strand under a microscope. You should be able to see the distinctive "scaly" texture of hair.

We had a look under a weak digital microscope at a fossil shop here in Branson (he thinks what you said also), it doesn't look like plant roots. But what you said is our thoughts - plant material in amongst hair. Mammoths also had a softer down (which is what most seem to get, that fluffy looking hair) and an outer layer of guard here's - which this may be.

Cheers for the answers

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

It doesn't look like Mammoth hair samples I have seen.

But I think if you have access to a transmission light microscope - one that is lit from below with a stage where you put slides with coverslips that would be useful.

take a small piece and look at high magnification 200 - 400 x

plant matter will have plant cellular structure mammal hair is much different.

See this excellent guide here:

http://www.microlabgallery.com/hair.aspx

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

It doesn't look like Mammoth hair samples I have seen.

But I think if you have access to a transmission light microscope - one that is lit from below with a stage where you put slides with coverslips that would be useful.

take a small piece and look at high magnification 200 - 400 x

plant matter will have plant cellular structure mammal hair is much different.

See this excellent guide here:

http://www.microlabgallery.com/hair.aspx

Afraid we don't have access to such a microscope O.o If it can be determined between hair and plant, I'd say it's safe to say mammoth...

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Anyone with anymore thoughts since we got new pics?

Archived