Fossilised snail? ID needed

Inason

Hello,

I found what I think maybe fossiled snail half way up a small Rocky Mountain in northern Somalia. It is hollow on the the inside. 

IMG_1793.JPG

It would be helpful if you can show us a view of the hollowed side (opening) and something to give an idea of it's size.

It looks like a steinkern of a snail. The shell has dissolved away leaving the lithified sediment that was inside the shell.

The fossils is quite heavy. It weights probably about 1.5 Kg.

I had previously wanted to add few images but it kept telling any more than 1 image exceeds 3.95MB

IMG_1822.JPG

I had previously wanted to add few images but it kept telling any more than 1 image exceeds 3.95MB

33 minutes ago, Inason said:

had previously wanted to add few images but it kept telling any more than 1 image exceeds 3.95MB

The limit is a per post. You can add more pictures in replies to a thread.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It looks similar to the internal molds of Campanile or Cimolithium. I incline toward the former. I would tentatively label it as Campanile? sp. Campanile species grew to large dimensions, and were present in the Tethyan realm.

IMG_1822.JPG.366733e348ca8fa585c4970962138863.thumb.JPG.f500f6a48decac979f732d091417474d.JPG5956b8780cf97_Fig.6.thumb.jpg.4d0f4a1a148c24ddb49666c81b078b7b.jpg

excerpt from W. Ayoub-Hannaa, F. T. Fursich. 2011. Revision of Cenomanian-Turonian (Upper Cretaceous) gastropods from Egypt. Zitteliana 51:115-152

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That one is very similar to the ones we found in WPCP (Cenomanian):D!But ours aren't as big as yours:).

The Iberian plate was also surrounded by the Thetyan sea and Cimolithium is also described in our palaeontological literature.

However, Campanile sp. (that abyssunder referred) can also be a good match.

They  are  probably in the same family, aren't they?

Regards,

On 6/29/2017 at 5:14 AM, Inason said:

IMG_1822.JPG

If you're having trouble with image size, then cropping the photo would be useful.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 3 weeks later...