Finally ? ? A Trilobite ?

Rocky Stoner

Could this be my first trilobite ?

It was found within a foot of the coral I just posted.

Looks like faint indications of several (pieces) in the pics.

Go ahead .... make my day.

IMG_9679.JPG

IMG_9680.JPG

IMG_9681.JPG

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:Hard to tell from the condition of this impression, but it looks kind of phacopid? But more importantly, where there is one, there is more! (find more!).

This excavation project of yours is quite exciting. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with it being a phacopid.  Eldregeops rana (formerly Phacops rana) is the most common trilobite in the Mahatango (sic?) Formation.

Don

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

This excavation project of yours is quite exciting. :) 

Hi Kane, thanks.

To not confuse this with the yellow shale orthoceras dig 200 yards away, everything else (from shale) that I've posted has been from this small area that I turned up with my little garden tractor. This is virgin ground that has never been worked as the shale, although well fractured from weather and whatnot, is still "in place". The topsoil is only about 2" then it hit the undisturbed shale directly underneath. The plow cut into it about 3" deep average. It is a greenish, semi-soft type. Being this shallow, the shale is well separated and caked with mud, dirt and roots and turns up "as previously fractured", rarely broken by the plow.

I have only inspected a small portion of this plowed area, about 5' x 5' . Just the turned up chunks, no digging ... yet. (soon in certain portions). I got bored finding the same ol same ol, so moved over 10' and fount the trilobite and the crinoid.

I used to take the dirty chunks back to the shed and bust them open to see what was inside, (my earlier posts, and mistakes).

Then I learned to take a bucket of water and a stiff scrub brush and scrub the mud, dirt, and debris from the chunks as they are.

Super surprising what I was destroying with the hammer ! The best goodies are on the outside.

I'll attach a few pics. The plowed area, a loose pile of the dirty chunks, then several of them scrubbed up. This was just a random sampling ... honest. There is a pleasant surprise in virtually EVERY piece. I'm anxious to do a real dig by screeding the topsoil off and disassembling the shale one chunk at a time.

Kind regards to all ! and THANKS for the guidance !

ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 29 14.23.jpg

ScreenHunter_13 Jun. 29 14.24.jpg

ScreenHunter_14 Jun. 29 14.24.jpg

IMG_9695.JPG

IMG_9694.JPG

3 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

I might have to move next door to you!

And give up all your Mesozoic goodies? Perish the thought! Much better to dunk a stale crumpet in a nice lager from wherevertonhamptonshire and find Ichthy teeth and lovely ammos in the morn, wot wot! :D 

1 minute ago, Kane said:

And give up all your Mesozoic goodies? Perish the thought! Much better to dunk a stale crumpet in a nice lager from wherevertonhamptonshire and find Ichthy teeth and lovely ammos in the morn, wot wot! :D 

Hahaha. Hmmm stale crumpet in lager. No, I think not. But I know it's sensible not to, we don't need state advertising like this  

to tell us what's good and bad to put in our mouth @Kane ..... ;) 

Oh my, where is this from? :D Please don't tell me it is yet another failed Canadian export!

2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Not an export my friend, made by and for the 'consumption' of your countrymen/women ;) Happy 150th. 

Thanks for the arbitrary 150, but much love to all like yourself for being good people. That transcends borders, flags, and national "birthdays." Just be good folk. I fully expect that I'll get a great Manchester tour next year as you would here in the old colonies ;) (one of my mates is bona fide Manchester-ite). Canada does not have a cemented understanding of itself as a land of immigrants, and we are richer by it. I think our "national" perspective is do less harm, don't be a doofus. Works for us. Just treat everyone with kindness and goodness. 

Back to the topic at hand, I would certainly advise a bit more research into the rich Mahantago!

58 minutes ago, Kane said:

think our "national" perspective is do less harm, don't be a doofus. .... Just treat everyone with kindness and goodness. 

Wish there were more people in this world that felt that way!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Wish there were more people in this world that felt that way!

@ynot Isn't a space like this a kind of model for a true UN? It's one of those quasi-secrets in academia where we are united by a purpose, regardless of where we're from. 

Ok, I've listened to John Lennon's 'Imagine' far too much, and it has made me hopelessly idealistic! :P 

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

This is impossible- it can't be done!!!:P

Lol. Some of my best friends are 'Murican. Good, solid folk. As are some of my pals overseas. Is it hopelessly idealistic to care about who you are rather than where you're from? Even those whose politics conflict with mine have been great folks. Look to the person, not the politics, as there may not be a clean connection!

I ain't religious, but loving each other as human beings - as much as they frustrate you! - is not a bad path. The alternative is to become an angry evangelist or a recluse. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Thanks for the arbitrary 150, but much love to all like yourself for being good people. That transcends borders, flags, and national "birthdays." Just be good folk. I fully expect that I'll get a great Manchester tour next year as you would here in the old colonies ;) (one of my mates is bona fide Manchester-ite). Canada does not have a cemented understanding of itself as a land of immigrants, and we are richer by it. I think our "national" perspective is do less harm, don't be a doofus. Works for us. Just treat everyone with kindness and goodness. 

Back to the topic at hand, I would certainly advise a bit more research into the rich Mahantago!

Canada, eh?

It's aboot time somebody summed up our national perspective. Nicely done

Archived