Possible trilobite part ?

Rocky Stoner

Not sure if I included this query in an earlier post, but I don't think so.

Is this just a convenient placement of individuals in a pile-up ? or are the parts associated ?

I'll guess "pile-up", but the ribbed center section looks like the segmented portion of a crayfish ... of sorts. Maybe the thorax of a trilobite ?

As always .... Thanks !

IMG_9696.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

I'll go out on a limb and say no, this is not a trilobite part. :( It looks more like an impression of a spiriferid brachiopod. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

So what I labeled as a thorax would then be the actual dorsal of the brachiopod ?

Searched images and found this example. Looks quite similar.

Thank you Kane.

th.jpg

I agree with Kane. I gave been fooled by these more than once.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I need to pay closer attention.

Right around the corner on the same chunk is a portion of another one. Clearly showing the transition from the lateral to the dorsal. Pretty awesome.

Thanks again guys,

regards.

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9699.JPG

I have been fooled on a few occasions, but as you get a better handle on trilobite anatomy, you get a better sense of what is a trilo and what is not. :) 

In your example, note how complicated those crenellations (folds) are. Take a look at trilobites in your geologic period and you'll see that their parts are a little less complicated! 

Spirifers in your formation are going to have these more detailed and complicated "folds." With more experience, you'll be better able to determine them from something else. Heck, I still instinctively respond to the presence of ridges as possible trilobite! The time I take to make that determination has lessened with study.

For now, take a look at the morphology of trilobites as it never hurts to be armed with some knowledge on how they appear. In your case, pay attention to a lot of the phacopid trilobites in the Devonian. As you study that, in no time you'll be a trilobite whisperer in that formation. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

"Angel wing". I agree with Kane. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived