Riker cases in the UK (or EU)

JohnBrewer

Hey TFF members

I'm tryin to find a source, preferably in the UK but the EU will do, for Riker cases. I'm presuming this is a trade name rather than s generic name. I do have a couple of dinky ones that fossils have come in but would like some larger ones, say a a couple 5x7 inch and a couple bigger to house some teeth and other bits. I really like the way they're made and the quality but can't find anything over here on websites including a well known auction site and well known book site. I could buy from the USA but the bus fare to get them here is crazy and I'd get hit with import duty and 20% VAT. Any ideas?

If you are a handyman you could make your own.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

but can't find anything over here on websites including a well known auction site and well known book site.

Try looking under "lapidary supplies" or "jewelry supplies", You may have better luck.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

@JohnBrewer Did you ever find any Riker cases in the UK? 

I want to order a few, and even with our APO shipping, it's going to be around $20 shipping. I don't trust the USPS with glass! 

@thelivingdead531 no I didn't. However I've found a much better and nicer way. Search for 'decoupage box' on our favourite auction site and you'll find things like this

IMG_6310.PNG.d41b02ba9a66bbff213a68b60f91e43b.PNG

They come in dozens of sizes and depths and often with partitions. If you want to remove lid just fill the hinge screw holes with wood filler. They stain nicely too but you must use an oil based stain as water based stains are repelled by any glue used in the manufacturing. Glazing is easy to. Get advice from a picture framer or get them to glaze one so you can see how to do it then do it yourself. Use glass, plastic looks tacky. 

For something to put put in the box to rest your finds on use fabric that quilters use. It's called, unsurprisingly, quilting padding but it's also called batting. Really cheap, available in different thicknesses and can be bought by the metre. This is what it looks like. Again I buy from the big auction site. 

IMG_6311.PNG.1b3bbf3bdae1ea0576c93c8149c03e77.PNG

sorry for low low quality images, screen shots from an iPhone!

Hope me that helps!

Thank you @JohnBrewer! Luckily, I work at an arts and crafts store so I know exactly what you're talking about. I was just hoping to bypass the DIY factor lol. If push comes to shove, I would have no problem making them myself. Thank you for the detailed information on how you made yours. 

Thank you @Kosmoceras. I'm still trying to get used to non-American measurements, but I feel like these cases are fairly small for their price. Then again, beggars can't be choosers, right? Thank you for the link though. I just got back from a day trip at Walton on the Naze so I'll look more into the measurements tomorrow and see what suits me.