Sign in to follow this  
SEWis-Fossils

My daughter needs to find an awesome fossil!

SEWis-Fossils

Hey all,

I'm obviously new here.  My 11yo daughter wants to compete in a fossil finding contest that ends at the end of August, and I need some help finding a good place to look.  I don't want to travel far for this effort. 

Back when I was a kid, I used to find fossil conglomerate rocks at the beach in Port Washington.  I would melt down the matrix in sulfuric acid(from old car batteries!) and recover crinoid stem pieced and occasionally a nice brachiopod.  The beach has changed much since, and I haven't seen any traces of such rocks recently.  We tried poking around Lime Kiln Park with rock hammers, and came out with just a few poor quality castings in limestone.

I still have some of those fossils I collected in Port, plus many other fossils that my rockhound grandfather and I dug up in Illinois and South Dakota on rock hunting trips, but I certainly do not want to help her cheat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

smt126

You can find limestone with similar fossils to what you found as a kid in many of the beaches around Milwaukee. I wouldn't recommend the acid trick though, as most of the fossils will disintegrate with the matrix.

The closest and easiest outcrop in SE Wisconsin is probably under the bridge by estabrook garden, but you're probably not going to find any contest winning fossils there.

If you want to cross the border to Illinois you guys could hunt Mazon creek, but you're going to need lots of bug spray and luck. If you're going for a contest win, that might be your better option than some common crinoids or brachiopods from the local area.

fossilized6s

Where are you from exactly and how far are you willing to travel? 

SEWis-Fossils

I from just north of Milwaukee.  I'd like to keep it to under an hour of travel.  The contest isn't that big of a deal.  I just thought it would be something fun to do with the kid.

Raggedy Man

Estabrook Park is kid friendly. By the river is a devonian reef. Small fossil plates may be taken from the park. I wouldn't use a hammer. If you search the park on the forum you'll find a map that points out the collecting site. Most sites aren't child friendly hence the delay in my post. If you have any issues PM me again.

Tell her good luck!

Best regards

Paul

Raggedy Man

clipimg09.jpg.4e345178af6f542861e741735aba8f3f.thumb.jpg.4c25c1f3b168cfff773398816ff294f8.jpg

Heres the map

SEWis-Fossils

Very Nice.  Thank you sir, we will check this spot out this week.

Raggedy Man
On 7/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, SEWis-Fossils said:

Very Nice.  Thank you sir, we will check this spot out this week.

How'd it go?

SEWis-Fossils

We did not make it due to my kid's busy social schedule, then we wen't on vacation for a week.  This weekend for sure.  I'll post pictures of what we find.

On the subject, we did pick up a bunch of fossils at Lion's Den Gorge before we left for vacation.  Mostly that grey conglomerate filled with bits of crinoids and broken shell.  The one pictured here is a little different, perhaps you can tell me what it is.  Horn coral impressions maybe?  The USB drive is just what I had handy for scale.

id.JPG