bjkibz

South Jersey Fossil Site Recommendations

bjkibz

Hey, first post on this site.

I've been volunteering at the Edelman Fossil Park (formerly Inversand) for a few years and am wondering if there are any other sites in the southern part of New Jersey that people know about. I have been to Big Brook, Ramanessin and Shark River on trips with my geology class, but they are farther than I would prefer to go for an average trip, and not worth the drive on a bad day. Particularly looking for sites in the Navesink or other Cretaceous formations.

Thanks.

pinkus

I suggest finding a Geologic Map of the areas that are close to you and look through to see which streams cut through the units that you want to explore. These might be freely available on the NJGS website. You want the bedrock geologic maps not the surficial geology maps. 

non-remanié

minor detail... Those njgs bedrock maps won't actually tell you whether or not any streams actually cut into  the bedrock coastal plain units, just what the underlying bedrock unit is in that area.  There may be 0 to 100ft+ of surficial deposits on top of the bedrock in any particular spot.  

8 hours ago, pinkus said:

I suggest finding a Geologic Map of the areas that are close to you and look through to see which streams cut through the units that you want to explore. These might be freely available on the NJGS website. You want the bedrock geologic maps not the surficial geology maps. 

squali
9 hours ago, non-remanié said:

minor detail... Those njgs bedrock maps won't actually tell you whether or not any streams actually cut into  the bedrock coastal plain units, just what the underlying bedrock unit is in that area.  There may be 0 to 100ft+ of surficial deposits on top of the bedrock in any particular spot.  

Unless you use the map legend ;)