Clam shell possibly.... only found half

Becky Benfer

Where was this found? (State, county?)

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Shark coprolite?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Let's get a location of the find, and start there. ;) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 minute ago, Becky Benfer said:

I live in central Ohio. Found it in a river near my home.

From that area I would go with a deformed orthocone nautilus.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

2 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

In simple terms is that a clam shell?? 

No it's a cephalopod that's been deformed, here's what they looked like in life

IMG_1798.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'm not convinced that it's an orthocone cephalopod. 

There is no real definition or equal spacing of septal walls. :unsure: 

Also, it depends on where in central Ohio it was found, as to the correct age. 

OHgeoMap3.jpg

My gut instinct on this one is an infilled burrow cast. :unsure: 

Awwwww seriously??? I found it in Huron county. About in the middle of the county.

1 minute ago, Becky Benfer said:

Awwwww seriously??? I found it in Huron county. About in the middle of the county.

That works for time period, but dosent rule out burrow either.

Happy hunting,

Mason

A burrow of an animal, probably invertebrate, is filled with sediment and fossilized that way. It's a trace fossil rather than an actual animal fossil.

The stone around the burrow is eroded away, if that is indeed what it is

Happy hunting,

Mason

It looks like a geological wonder to me, not a fossil or trace fossil, in other words a pseudofossil, a sedimentary structure with some iron content.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Maybe the cross-hatching lines might be the starting point in the concept, similar to the example from here (cross bedding), but at a lower scale.

image028.jpg.9a91eee52370a80400b3f6adfb76caa5.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't know if I see the resemblance but you guys are the experts that's why I'm asking for your help! To me it looks like old wrinkled up skin. Haha! Thanks again to all! Much appreciate all your information!

Hey don't let them kill your joy! I agree it isn't a clam, and although at first glance I also thought it could be a nautiloid, that may not be the case. But it does look like a good candidate for ichno (AKA trace) fossil of some sort. The rocks in your area are good for a variety of stuff.

And here is something to think about: trace fossils are a record of behavior and thus in many ways a record of actual "life" as opposed to bones and shells of things now dead.

Hang on to it as any fossil that stumps this forum is a keeper!

Maybe take it to one of the museums in Cleveland or Columbus for a better ID. The folks in Cinci may be interested as well.

Thank you so much! I'm just learning but I love to hunt fossils and Indian artifacts. I have a room full of way too many things I'm unsure of. You're suggestion to have it seen by someone close to home is great! I'm always open for any and all helpful information! Thanks again!

Archived