Buffalo Gap Grasslands - South Dakota - ID

DakotaBirder

My son and I have recently started visiting the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands to hunt for agates and other goodies. Today we came across something that we haven't found. About an inch and a half long, vertical structures that come together at center points on each end.  Found in an area with plenty of petrified wood.

IMG_1736 (002).JPG

IMG_1735 (002).JPG

This looks like a very worn horn coral or somesuch.  Probably washed in from the Black Hills as it is likely too old to be from any of the rocks on the Grasslands.  The National Grassland has late Cretaceous to Oligocene rocks and these things (if it is a horn coral) are Paleozoic.  

Looks like a typical horn coral to me. And JP is right. Too old for the grasslands. Cool thing is, it got there some how! 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

+1 for horn coral, which did in fact go extinct in the Permian extinction

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, jpc said:

Probably washed in from the Black Hills

Keep in mind that they were body surfing the Black Hills as they washed away from themselves.

Archived