Fossil Fish

all hail tinker

I have a fossil fish that I have begun cleaning that was discovered in Temple, tx. It has a long narrow toothed jaw. it is hard to say much else about it because the jaw is all that has been uncovered. the teeth range from 3/4 inch long to about 2-4mm long. Does anyone know of any species with long toothed jaws found in the waco area that matches my description? I will post pictures of it as soon as I get a camera and as I clean it.

There are a handful of formations in the Temple area. A lot depends on the formation or the pics..... Congrats on your find.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have a fossil fish that I have begun cleaning that was discovered in Temple, tx. It has a long narrow toothed jaw. it is hard to say much else about it because the jaw is all that has been uncovered. the teeth range from 3/4 inch long to about 2-4mm long. Does anyone know of any species with long toothed jaws found in the waco area that matches my description? I will post pictures of it as soon as I get a camera and as I clean it.

The obvious choice without a photo would be a gar. Can't wait to see the pics... :D

Be true to the reality you create.

In North America, Enchodus remains have been recovered from most states with fossiliferous Late Cretaceous rocks, including Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, Wyoming, Texas, California, and New Jersey. The taxon is also known from coeval strata in Africa, Europe, and southwest Asia. Enchodus survived the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event and persisted at least into the Eocene.It was found all over the world.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchodus

I find teeth from this fish all the time. Usually they are about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. They have defined striations running longways the entire length of the tooth. The fish itself looked a bit like a salmon or a large trout.

Without seeing a picture it's tough to say, but this fish was very common here in Texas, and elsewhere throughout the entire cretaceous period. As previously stated, if the jaw is longer, it could well be a gar also.

Can't wait to see pics.

Here's a better link. http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Enchodus.html

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

In North America, Enchodus remains have been recovered from most states with fossiliferous Late Cretaceous rocks, including Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, Wyoming, Texas, California, and New Jersey. The taxon is also known from coeval strata in Africa, Europe, and southwest Asia. Enchodus survived the Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event and persisted at least into the Eocene.It was found all over the world.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchodus

I find teeth from this fish all the time. Usually they are about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. They have defined striations running longways the entire length of the tooth. The fish itself looked a bit like a salmon or a large trout.

Without seeing a picture it's tough to say, but this fish was very common here in Texas, and elsewhere throughout the entire cretaceous period. As previously stated, if the jaw is longer, it could well be a gar also.

Can't wait to see pics.

Here's a better link. http://www.oceansofkansas.com/Enchodus.html

well...as near as i can tell it is not an Enchodus. It was found in a cretaceous formation I'm not sure exactly where though. My father found and excavated it shortly before his death about 10 years ago and it's been in storage until now.

There are a handful of formations in the Temple area. A lot depends on the formation or the pics..... Congrats on your find.

I have a few shark teeth from a site in Temple. The label I was given notes the age as Cenomanian and the layer as the Bluebonnet Formation.

The matrix looks like a shelly limestone, more likely to yield isolated teeth rather than whole body fossils or even a decent section of bony fish jaw.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a few shark teeth from a site in Temple. The label I was given notes the age as Cenomanian and the layer as the Bluebonnet Formation.

The matrix looks like a shelly limestone, more likely to yield isolated teeth rather than whole body fossils or even a decent section of bony fish jaw.

i have found a single shark tooth while cleaning but alot of this fish is exposed and its about the same length as a decent sized gar and as near as i can tell its mostly there. there are some shellfish but not many and the matrix has an orangish tint to it. the matrix is comes up in flakes