Real pretty Mucospirifer from Penn-Dixie

DrDave

I've been working through some material that my daughters and I collected on Sunday May 28, Digging with the Experts Day.

While I feel like I'm pretty new to fossil collecting, this Mucospirifer seems particularly pretty and well preserved, so I thought I'd share(my pinky nail is 1 cm for scale):

IMG_0749.thumb.JPG.6992ae760a2f0e2ea7498d62daf0639e.JPGIMG_0751.thumb.JPG.e236fb64575789180d4e22808dc37964.JPGIMG_0752.thumb.JPG.4f78db56715b3d14148d1cbcc6c2ca94.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

The original matrix surrounding the specimen is seen above. I assume there is some pyritization creating the gold color.

• I found this Informative 1

That is a really nice specimen. When I zoomed in I could even see growth lines!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@DrDave this is a nice one. I like them when both sides are present.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I did spend 2-3 hours using a pick, water, a hard plastic bristle brush to remove matrix. Maybe a little more time than that--kind of got into an OCD-ish zone, lol. Once I saw what I had, I wanted to see how clean I could get it.  While there is variability in the matrix at Penn-Dixie, it seems easily crushed or scraped compared with the underlying fossil, which lends itself to be more aggressive and less cautious.

Viola happened to be beside me while I was looking at this thread and she said "Wow!  That's so pretty!"  (Shells are probably her favourite thing to find when we go fossil-hunting.)

Congrats on finding such a beautiful brachiopod, and well done with respect to the prep work!

Stunning fossil, especially for me as I love seashells and brachiopods :wub:

Congrats!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

That's an awesome example of a rather common fossil. We should all be giving those a lot more attention. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1