Agate Fossil Beds Nat. Monument

Ramo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agate_Fossil_...tional_Monument

I drove up the this national park today. Less than an hour from Scottsbluff (but I forgot my camera!) If you ever get a chance, you should stop by. It is in the middle of no-where in western Nebraska. They have some very nice full skeletal mounts of the three primary fossils found there. Big Pig-like creatures, camel-like creatures, and wolf-like creatures. (Don't let my scientific nomenclature blow your minds). Well, anyways, you can hike the mile or so up to two hilltops with rock exposures where all these fossils have come from. They are not currently digging, but there are little signs that say who and when there was digging there. The gravel at the bases of these rock exposures, and right up to the trail is just full of bone fragments. I was shocked, but if you layed your hand on the ground, you would be touching at least 3-5 bone fragments. Most are just slivers, but I could Id some nearly complete verts, and lots of the ends of long bones, and tons of tooth fragments. You could just go walk around and pick them up to look at. They were everywhere. (They did have a sign that said you can't take anything out)

Anyways if anyone is traveling through this area, its a cool place to stop.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Bowkill, seeing as you are in the area(only 175 miles from Scottsbluff).......Casper, Wyoming is have a rock and fossil show this weekend July 11-12) at the Ramkota Inn. Stop by the Old Dead Things table and say hello.

Thanks for the post and link. I've heard of the site and wanted to visit but have not found the time during my visits to Colorado. I keep getting pulled west towards Green River like a moth to flame. I think you need to go back and take your camera this time. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/