old bones

This small, fragile bone was found in Sacha's Merritt Island matrix. I think that it might be an ulna. I spent hours looking at pictures of both avian and bat bones, and cannot be sure which it is. Is my photo and the bone's condition enough to identify the bone? Thanks for looking.

MI2-long-bone.thumb.jpg.ffa6a5d3c60d2e661b61c8111e734def.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I think I would go bird. A bat bone this length in proportion to it's girth would be more bowed in shape I believe. 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think I would go bird. A bat bone this length in proportion to it's girth would be more bowed in shape I believe. 

That fits with what I observed when hunting thru photos of both. Thanks, :) 

Julianna, I'm glad you're still finding interesting stuff. How is your supply? Would you like another box or have I loaded you down?

3 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Julianna, I'm glad you're still finding interesting stuff. How is your supply? Would you like another box or have I loaded you down?

I am still find great stuff, John. I still have a good supply for now, thank you. I have been focusing on photographing the and editing. That goes much more slowly than the hunting.

I am going to put a composite photo together soon to illustrate some of the collection. 

• I found this Informative 1

Below is a link to a really good site with lots of great individual bird bone pictures:

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Natural_History/Bones/homepage.htm

I'm seeing thousands of mammal bones from the ranch in Nebraska.  Many are thin, fragile looking, hollow and thin walled.  The more mammal bones I see the less confident I am in identifying a bone as bird unless it is a Tarsometatarsus  or a Carpometacarpus.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thank you for the interesting link, Marco Sr..

I too, have very little confidence with bird bone IDs unless they are of the very obvious variety that you mentioned... the ones in your fingers after cleaning off a hot wing for example...

Julianna