The Speeding Carno

Hello,

I was stopping through Indianapolis and gave their children's museum a try. It was surprisingly enjoyable! The museum covered topics from agriculture to racing to dinosaurs! These photos are from the dinosaur section.

I followed the signs to the Dinosphere. I walked through the entrance and down the ramp. At the end of the ramp was a Sarcosuchus cast (no picture sorry). Following the path I emerged into a huge planetarium like structure filled with dinosaurs.IMG_0620.thumb.JPG.67a1b2421e6fb60429cb4cbf21dee5d2.JPG

The creators had painted clouds onto the background of the exhibit giving it a feeling of being transported to Cretaceous North America. The first fossils that caught my attention was of course the pair of tyrannosaurs. The display featured two tyrannosaurs fighting a triceratops. The larger one named Stan is posed about to be gored by the triceratops. Stan is a cast but the triceratops is a true fossil. The other fossil is a teenaged tyrannosaur named Bucky.IMG_0630.thumb.JPG.cbbc5a864221973d5512cb362346294c.JPG

On the opposite side from the tyrannosaurs is another display. This one features a few hypacrosaurs. There were two infant hypacrosaurs however one was a cast and one was a fossil.

(Sorry, photo isn't working)

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Either resize it to below 3.9 megabytes or refresh the page.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Oh thanks, been trying to figure it out most of the morning!

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.9a8337db9b46ad34c50123f060b38eb5.JPG

Here is the pic of the teensy Hypacrosaurus.

Standing overtop the two infants was an adult hypacrosaurus. The adult was staring over towards the two tyrannosaurs, making sure his/her babies were safe.IMG_0612.thumb.JPG.11e1c2a5d7ad54615c6e475f16a95465.JPG

Standing next to the adult hypacrosaurs was a juvenile hypacrosaurus bending over drinking water.IMG_0614.thumb.JPG.8c580c55c3212604fc35ad469af9a052.JPG

Rounding out the hypacrosaurus display is a Prenoceratops and a turtle in the watering hole. The Prenoceratops is a fossil, as for the turtle, not to sure...IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.ddfdbe9efd13d32a3a2c360652b10cda.JPG

Also you can go inside the bubble in the back, how cool is that!

Finally, creating a triangle with the other displays is the gorgosaurus. The gorgosaurus stands victorious over his recent maiasaura kill. A cast bambiraptor can also be seen scavenging the corpse of the deceased dinosaur.IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.4c08496be6746e74f9027e0985791f9a.JPG

After exiting the Dinosphere there is a display surrounding Leonardo the Mummified Dinosaur, sadly I'd forgotten to take a picture but I have substituted a picture from the internet.IMG_0646.thumb.PNG.e6ce26e185ab3c9d8e8f5f6ba7c2bd08.PNG

Also in the same room is a Dino lab where one can touch a tyrannosaur leg fossil. It also features a dracorex reconstruction.IMG_0618.thumb.JPG.ccfc4af616f5679d996b929fb9ec3cf1.JPG

There was also a xiphactinus skull on the wall.

There is also a quaint digging space for the kids though I must admit I may have divulged in it.

After backtracking to the exit, there are multiple beautiful paleo paintings. Near the exit is a Sarcosuchus cast and a dracorex cast as well as a Gorgosaurus partial skull that supposedly contained fossil evidence of a brain tumor.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

There is a series of stairs near the exit that lead to another dinosaur display on the second floor. This floor focuses on paleoart with multiple activities based around creating paleoart. There was also a beautiful overview of the Dinosphere. This second floor also contained the dracorex skull, pterosaur casts, an ammonite, as well as a few more fabulous pieces of paleoart.IMG_0629.thumb.JPG.84bdb4ee5f14a531083f08968f6bf17d.JPG

IMG_0627.thumb.JPG.2db4f8678d2adaf70fffb97680056b9e.JPG

IMG_0624.thumb.JPG.a9ba7a35ef171412f99e11e62ea67f55.JPG

43 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice - thanks for the virtual tour!

It was my pleasure!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks great. Just last night our family talked about going to Indy and visiting this museum and what's supposed to be a good museum on American Indians.

On 8/28/2017 at 8:11 AM, Siwash said:

Looks great. Just last night our family talked about going to Indy and visiting this museum and what's supposed to be a good museum on American Indians.

I hear Indianapolis zoo is one of the best in the nation, I'd suggest stopping by.

I went there years ago and loved it. I wish I would have more time to look. Thanks for the pics. 

Archived