Greetings everyone, this is Trevor. This is the second edition of my quests into the Cretaceous streams of New Jersey. As before, I will tell you the stories that go along with each of the five trips in every episode. Each trip has a unique title that I feel best displays the overall sentiments of the expedition. I am going to college in Ohio in late August and will only be able to fossil hunt in New Jersey during summer's and winter breaks. Additionally, I may begin to post Ohio episodes throughout the coming years. Well, thank you for coming here and let the stories commence! 

Viaje Numero Uno: "Fossil Intoxication" 

My friend Spencer inquired, "Worm, why do you enjoy fossiling so much?" (stupid nickname given to me for past eccentric tendencies and introverted personality). The natural answer was a pause and then ultimately me saying "I like fossils." So, on May 26 Spencer decided to take me on a short hunt since I do not have my driver's license, due to me revoking my permit and never taking the driving test. Fortunately, Spencer stayed in his car and texted away. (I was scared he would come with me and steal my fossils). This turned out to be my most productive fossil hunt in New Jersey ever, though not the best. In 2.5 hours I surpassed the most finds I had ever found on a single hunt. This was partially due to a very large storm system having entirely changed many of the existing streams in Monmouth County. Although I was too late to take advantage of this storm for Ramanessin, this small stream had not yet been touched. I was finding teeth left and right and the stream was completely altered. We got to the stream at 5:30 PM so it got late fast and I did not have time to finish searching all the gravel bars. We finished off the day by heading to Burger Bros near Big Brook, an excellent burger establishment if you ever have the chance to go there. I was "intoxicated" on fossils on this hunt. 

IMG_6577.thumb.JPG.d20ccb455e99e21831dd333c832a9f1a.JPG

IMG_6578.thumb.JPG.d4b5875a2fc596e0b40d8a32ba4f45ad.JPG

IMG_6579.thumb.JPG.d82684818dac6730a3d25048f174dd35.JPG

image1-3.JPG.b38bbabf5383204e1be3af49fe1e4fa5.JPG

Trip 2: "Picking Up the Scraps"

Naturally, if you get this lucky, then why not take advantage of it? After mesmerizing her with the finds, my grandma agreed to take me out to the stream again to pick up what I had missed the day before. (Now it's the 27th) The fact there was nothing spectacular was disappointing, there were merely leftovers; I was in essence picking up the scraps. The trip turned in a more positive direction when areas that had been covered by water the day before started drying up and exposing whispers of the prosperity from the day before. To compliment my surface finds I decided to do some sifting. The sifting was productive; however, most of the finds were heavily worn. At this particular stream fossils have very very poor preservation, but the trade off is that the fossils are abundant. I left after 3.5 hours and came away with a slightly less than I had yesterday. Still a great amount of fossils for such a short amount of time, too bad they are worn. 

IMG_6580.thumb.JPG.a16d9a9b570c6bccc1033fbf21df8842.JPG

IMG_6581.thumb.JPG.b948aff89dc8389cef051f5568296575.JPG

Trip 3: "Decay"

After getting permission from some property owners awhile back I went to a small stream that I knew was good for invertebrates. The entry point was someone's driveway (don't worry they were enthusiastic about fossils being near their house and allowed it ;)). I got into the stream and Voila! invertebrates! Many, many broken invertebrates! Some unrecognizable and complete destroyed. I held up against the 98% humidity for awhile but before long my shirt was completely drenched in sweat. On top of that I clumsily fell and an annoying amount of water poured down into my feet. Throughout the trip there was a deer running around in the stream and I kept coming across it and it would snort and then run off. Sadly I came to know the reason for its troubles; in the stream was a dead fawn partially decomposing. Sad though the sight was, it is one of infinite calamities in nature. After doing a double jump backwards from the entirely unexpected scene, I went back and decided to venture to Ramanessin Brook. My waders started to leak and then eventually explode at Ramanessin, and this is following a 30 minute walk in blistering, humid heat. I was in the water and I felt a trickle at my feet. More and more water started to come in and eventually I felt myself sinking. I got out and emptied my waders and walked back to the car. The two hunts lasted 2 hours and very overall unproductive (June 18th).

Trip 4: "Walking in Circles" 

This trip was not consoling after the previous one. Happiness equals reality divided by expectations, with the latter being excessively great and the former being in the nether regions. I went for 1.5 hours with my grandma who slept in the car. I went back and forth between sifting and surface scanning but neither seemed to be working out. I kept walking to one spot then to the next then back to the spot I was at, all hoping that I could come away with something to make the trip worthwhile. Any fossil at all really makes a trip worthwhile but that was not my mindset then :P. I gave up after 1.5 hours (this was on June 20th) and decided to call it a day. I had not eaten breakfast, horrible mistake, and was probably dehydrated. I was "walking in circles" in the stream and in my head.

Trip 5: "Sweat or Streamwater?"

Imagine wearing a blanket in the middle of summer while also getting sprayed with hot, salty water. Then on top of that there is a warm sheet of water in the air. Hey, now you got it! That's were I was. Wearing some lovely insulated waders for 6.75 hours in 90o F heat. My shirt, pants, and forehead were a river of sweat in themselves and soon I didn't know if it was sweat or stream water that had splashed on me. Anyway, it was a very popular day to go to Ramanessin or fossiling in general, just a smidge too hot. My dad had great nap though. The rate of finds coming in were average throughout the day. I chose to do some surface scanning about 2 hours in despite the obvious bootprints scattered across the gravel bars. Fortunately who ever had been there must have been distracted or a noob because I found some nice teeth on the periphery of the bars. Luckily, my waders allow me to crawl for extended distances and get my face right down with the gravel. After some surface hunting I went back to sifting and continued excavating a massive hole in the middle of the stream. Having to push the gravel back in was a hassle and I ended the day in exhaustion. Fellow forum member Vasili was in the stream when I left but unfortunately we did not get to greet each other, alas. I may have seen forum member Brad past the first bridge from the parking area of Ramanessin. If it was you Brad sorry I didn't say high I was too tired (July 2).

: )

Highlights:

Cartilage or Fish Scales

IMG_6616.thumb.JPG.1b150392f802a35c932fca0744535c50.JPG

Ratfish Mandible + Crab Arm

IMG_6618.thumb.JPG.0b2492836ddadfda68f859c61884b8e9.JPG

Angel Shark Vertebrae

IMG_6620.thumb.JPG.faeb29dc309f80ec24bf8013b12630be.JPG

2" Scapanorhynchus texanus

IMG_6621.thumb.JPG.d03ec208abfa3bc3af324a353f7ede8b.JPG

Broken + Eroded Hybodont Cephalic Clasper

IMG_6623.thumb.JPG.8e47de267d8fcdf549e97e81af20bad6.JPG

Broken Mosasaur Teeth 

IMG_6625.thumb.JPG.ba9babc0abd4291c479970b66353323e.JPG

Finds Overall:

IMG_6588.thumb.JPG.fcadbd44c4483ac18daf3bb9aeb08c8b.JPG

IMG_6589.thumb.JPG.521d9c77ef9ac401fe44636196886294.JPG

IMG_6590.thumb.JPG.e3a32e8acd586e3e0c2c8ffc9b13f080.JPG

IMG_6591.thumb.JPG.b075247ea58337b23108cdc147525ee2.JPG

IMG_6587.thumb.JPG.5223c161939304e84e0d856e87dc4ff3.JPG

Nice finds Trevor! Unfortunately, not everyday will yield awesome finds. But remember persistence pays off. Great reports.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Very nice Otodus.

Sorry Fossil-Hound, Otodus lived during the later Paleocene to Eocene. All the finds above are from the Cretaceous. The teeth you may be referring to are the mackerel teeth or goblin teeth. The three larger ones in my hand are goblin and the six left of the crow shark teeth in the other picture are all mackerel teeth. Thanks for the compliment anyway though!

Do i have your permission to post something in this thread that's not totally relevant,but interesting nonetheless?

And(did a quick check),of course it is new to the forum

Yes I too like the Mackerel Shark teeth!  So how much do you sift vs surface hunt?  It looks like your screen is 1/4"  (In the future could you ad something to your photos for scale?  Coin works)

8 minutes ago, Calvin Jenkins said:

Yes I too like the Mackerel Shark teeth!  So how much do you sift vs surface hunt?  It looks like your screen is 1/4"  (In the future could you ad something to your photos for scale?  Coin works)

Yes, sorry for the lack of a scale. I only surface hunt if I get to a stream early after it had rained the day before. Also, I may just skim over a gravel bar or two closely to see if there are any finds. In the case that there are no finds then I continue sifting but if there are some I may surface hunt a little. Most of my time is spent sifting.

Nice trip Trevor!! As I said on the phone, that angel shark vert. is a really rare fossil - very nice find. As per that unknown, it is indeed shark cartilage.

Great trip report Trevor....I really enjoyed it. Maybe you should be a writer. You did very well in the brooks...congrad's  ....:D

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Archived