North Sulphur River, Texas, Red-type fossils, Ladonia Fossil Park

CrazyDiamond

Hello, I am new to this site so I apologize in advance if I post incorrectly. I went to Ladonia, Texas, to the fossil park and found a lot of "red" type rocks or fossils.  I need help identifying what they are and basically if they are even fossils. I have a lot of them, so to keep this simple, I will just post photos of all the same item, but in various angles. Thank you, Laura

Period: From what I have read, fossils here are from the Cretaceous Period/Mesozoic Era.

Weight: 5.34 Ounces

5.34 _2.jpg

5.34 Ounces.jpg

5.34 Ounces_3.jpg

5.34 Ounces_4.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum from New York! These have the appearance of concretions which are geological rock formations not fossils. Keep looking though. Sooner or later you will find the right things.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Oh man, what a bummer, I found a bunch of them and thought for sure they might be something. But, I have more stuff that doesn't look anything like that so hopefully, some of my next posts will be winners.

IMG_0568 (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Good news is that's where most of the fossils at NSR come from. Its the Ozan layer red zone so keep looking. 

21 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Good news is that's where most of the fossils at NSR come from. Its the Ozan layer red zone so keep looking. 

Yep, I'm thinking about heading back today - I don't think it ever stops raining in that little town of Ladonia though. Then last week, stuck in a storm when it wasn't supposed to rain - finally got out of the river and up to the car - my auto lights got turned off and my car was dead LOL - talk about bad luck! Good thing my boss back in Fort Worth answered the phone to pay a tow truck Dude for me - expensive day hunting fossils - I won't give up though :)

12 minutes ago, CrazyDiamond said:

Yep, I'm thinking about heading back today - I don't think it ever stops raining in that little town of Ladonia though. Then last week, stuck in a storm when it wasn't supposed to rain - finally got out of the river and up to the car - my auto lights got turned off and my car was dead LOL - talk about bad luck! Good thing my boss back in Fort Worth answered the phone to pay a tow truck Dude for me - expensive day hunting fossils - I won't give up though :)

Rain = Great new fossils. Sorry to hear about your car. I got my suv stuck awhile back and had to pay a tow truck plus put my suv in the shop after that to fix it. Very expensive trip. Now I drive a 4x4 lol. 

Welcome to the forum...

I don't know the Texas geology at all but the lighter specimen on the right looks dif in origin than red shapes and might be something. The very small irregular thin shapes/impressions do vaguely look like something/traces/fragments? Non mineral/maybe organic?..i am assuming the red stones shapes are just a neat weathering phenom and not concretionary in any way that might result in something good being found within them.   Hoping the Texas local folks or anyone who's hunted in the area and is familiar might comment further. 

20170716_045924.png.6b705384733103e56242e2dc501b6c66.png

Keep collecting..thinking you'll find something more obvious soon. Good luck.

Regards, Chris

20 hours ago, Plantguy said:

Welcome to the forum...

I don't know the Texas geology at all but the lighter specimen on the right looks dif in origin than red shapes and might be something. The very small irregular thin shapes/impressions do vaguely look like something/traces/fragments? Non mineral/maybe organic?..i am assuming the red stones shapes are just a neat weathering phenom and not concretionary in any way that might result in something good being found within them.   Hoping the Texas local folks or anyone who's hunted in the area and is familiar might comment further. 

20170716_045924.png.6b705384733103e56242e2dc501b6c66.png

Keep collecting..thinking you'll find something more obvious soon. Good luck.

Regards, Chris

Hey there Plantguy,  well I messed with a couple of them and it turns out they all turned to dust - so if there was something in them, it's gone now.  I went yesterday and stayed away from the red stuff and this time managed to find two good teeth!

IMG_0749.JPG

Keep looking in the gravel and you will be amazed of the different types of teeth you will find. 

Archived