Uzbekistan Theropod Teeth

zekky

Here are my Uzbekistan theropod teeth, finally got the displays for them. The tooth in the gem jar in the lower left hand corner is likely a carcharodontosaurid. The teeth in the lower right hand corner have a round base and I'm not sure what they are. However those two teeth do bear a resemblance to Shaochilong. More studying will be required for those two teeth. 

uzb2344.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thats a neat little collection, there is quite a bit of this hitting the market at the moment.

I am interested to find out how you have distinguished your Itemirus tooth, I have only seen a couple in the past and they were all quite small (less than 10mm) and very 'Dromaeosauridae' looking in profile. 

Very pretty teeth you have here. I like how you set up the display.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 4 months later...

Itemirus is actually a large dromaeosaur. The smaller teeth are some other dromaeosaur. The serrations counts line up with other previous large dromaeosaurs found in Uzbekistan. It also matches other dromaeosaur serration counts with a noticeable difference in size between mesial and anterior Serrations. It's the biggest dromaeosaur tooth I've ever seen. Bigger or the same as Utahraptor teeth. 

The Itemirus teeth serrations are slightly different than the tyrannosaur teeth.

20 minutes ago, zekky said:

Itemirus is actually a large dromaeosaur. The smaller teeth are some other dromaeosaur. The serrations counts line up with other previous large dromaeosaurs found in Uzbekistan. It also matches other dromaeosaur serration counts with a noticeable difference in size between mesial and anterior Serrations. It's the biggest dromaeosaur tooth I've ever seen. Bigger or the same as Utahraptor teeth. 

The Itemirus teeth serrations are slightly different than the tyrannosaur teeth.

Have you obtained any info PDF's etc that you can share to give more info, especially on serration count and profile?

I can't find much online.

would you be kind enough to share some images of these different serrations on the teeth in your collection?

I also have a few and would like to compare what I have with those in other collections.

thank you

Here is a link to the paper. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667114001189.

I have the actually paper but can't upload since it's too big. But here are a few notes, ".The distal carinae on the dromaeosaurid teeth bear between 3 and 6 subrectangular denticles per 1 mm of cutting edge." My tooth measure at 2.8 per MM on the Distal side and 3.7 per mm on the Mesial side. Not quite their measurements, but very close.

The first picture is what I believe to be Itemirus or a large dromaeosaur. The second is what I believe to Timurlengia. The third picture is something else (Shaochilong?) Serrations in Bissekty are notorious for being worn, here's the best I have.

While not in the paper, the shape is a bit different, the curvature etc...

UT2B.jpg

UT5B.jpg

UT6B.jpg

Not sure much has changed

The paper also goes on to say that Dromeosaurid teeth cannot be unambiguously distinguished from those of juvenile tyranno, but ASSUME the stouter crowns are Tyranno.

Archived