Blastoid and crinoid mix up

Miocene_Mason

I while back I acquired a collection of fossils,minerals, and rocks. They were apparently found at an estate sale before being bought and sold online, hence the prices on the labels (not what I paid for them). It was rather large and confusing, but I managed to figure a lot of it out. One bag, however, has crinoid and blastoid stems and calyxs (calyxi? Calyxese?) and six labels, none attached to the specimens. I was wonder if y'all could help me sort them out, because I'm confused. A few of the labels are just "crinoid stems", is it possible to get a better ID on them? I can take more pictures if needed. 

IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My understanding of crinoid vs blastoid fossils is that with crinoids the columnals are generally more durable than the calyx. With blastoids it's the other way around with the calyx being more durable than the bits of stem. Thus most fossilized crinoids you find will generally find pieces of stem and with blastoids calyces unless the conditions under which the fossils were buried were exceptionally calm. With this in mind I would submit to you that the calyces on the top right are most likely blastoids while everything else is crinoidal. Hope this helps

Dictionary.com entry for calyx:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/calyx

Edited by Pumpkinhead
Added more information
  • I found this Informative 2

2 minutes ago, Pumpkinhead said:

My understanding of crinoid vs blastoid fossils is that with crinoids the columnals are generally more durable than the calyx. With blastoids it's the other way around with the calyx being more durable than the bits of stem. With this in mind I would submit to you that the calyces on the top right are most likely blastoids while everything else is crinoidal. Hope this helps

Dictionary.com entry for calyx:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/calyx

That definitely helps, as well as the plural form of calyx :)

thank you for the information!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would label them as follows:

IMG_1873.JPG.08724d854db1e009dfc5e4c98fd574ea.thumb.JPG.e579dc3c7de76c154cc1714234bcda70.JPG

1 - Star shaped crinoid stem fragments... Pentacrinus/Pentacrinites/Isocrinus...
2 - Dissociated partial crinoid columnal (stem)
3 - Crinoid calyx plates
4 - Blastoid calyces (calyxes)
5 - Crinoid pluricolumnal (stem fragment)
6 - Crinoid pluricolumnals
7 - Crinoid rootlets
8 - Crinoid pluricolumnal

I used different terms for the partial stems.

Hope these help.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I would label them as follows:

IMG_1873.JPG.08724d854db1e009dfc5e4c98fd574ea.thumb.JPG.e579dc3c7de76c154cc1714234bcda70.JPG

1 - Star shaped crinoid stem fragments... Pentacrinus/Pentacrinites/Isocrinus...
2 - Dissociated partial crinoid columnal (stem)
3 - Crinoid calyx plates
4 - Blastoid calyces (calyxes)
5 - Crinoid pluricolumnal (stem fragment)
6 - Crinoid pluricolumnals
7 - Crinoid rootlets
8 - Crinoid pluricolumnal

I used different terms for the partial stems.

Hope these help.

Thank you, very helpful. I see some labelmaking in my future...

Happy hunting,

Mason