Split fossil prep

kolleamm

I believe I may have found an anchura, which is a Cretaceous gastropod. I've only found 3 before. Now for my fourth it seems luck would have it that the fossil has split down the middle. How can I prep this fossil? This is something I really don't want to mess up. 

Thanks in advance! 

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

@Ptychodus04 should be able to help

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Any help would be great, even if someone could prep it for me I wouldn't mind.

Looking closer the fossil might have a vertical orientation, so we might be looking at it's top view.

32 minutes ago, kolleamm said:

Any help would be great, even if someone could prep it for me I wouldn't mind.

Looking closer the fossil might have a vertical orientation, so we might be looking at it's top view.

That's going to be quite a prep. If I were doing it, I would approach it thusly:

1 Trim excessive rock from specimen with diamond saw.

2 Mark the edges of the specimen on the matrix.

3 Glue and clamp pieces together.

4 Scribe the matrix off the gastropod.

I would be happy to prep it for you if you so desire. Send me a PM if you're interested and we can work out the details.

• I found this Informative 1

That @Ptychodus04, Kris is quite the nice guy.  I myself am beginning to like him.  :)   But there is one thing missing on his assessment of going about prepping this thing.  He forgot #5.   #5 is mixing that nice cool wiskey drink after its done.   Ha!!!  

RB

1 hour ago, RJB said:

That @Ptychodus04, Kris is quite the nice guy.  I myself am beginning to like him.  :)   But there is one thing missing on his assessment of going about prepping this thing.  He forgot #5.   #5 is mixing that nice cool wiskey drink after its done.   Ha!!!  

RB

You're quite a funny guy too, Ron. :rofl:

But seriously kolleamm, if you can't manage the work yourself, then get Ptychodus04 to do it. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/