Stone supplier HUGE lucky find!

Rob_P

Well I was strolling through my buddies stone supply yard looking for nice sized rocks for the garden and I stumbled upon the coolest thing I have ever randomly found. A huge print! He charged me the cost of stone for it as long as he got to hold on to it for a bit to show his kids! I'm more than excited. I didn't have a tape measure with me but the print is about 2,1/2 to 3" inches at its deepest!

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

I'm trying to get the details, it was labeled as Tennessee but the supplier that supplies to them said it is not local Tennessee stone. The person he talked to said they think Maryland but they have to check paperwork to confirm and will let me know soon.

@Rob_P

I would like to put in a request for you to go back  to the rock yard and turn over every rock there and find me 1 of those. I'll even pay you 3 X the cost of the stone and for shipping it to me in VA. PRETTY PLEASE!! :wub: :envy:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Wow!!   Ive seen a couple of trilobites found in comercial stone, but nothing ever like this!   Really nice find man.

RB

I live in Maryland and I'm still searching for footprints, the only ones I've seen have been used as stones of a bridge in Gettysburg, as well as some small ones a bought, but there millimeters:envy: 

Amazing find, keep looking with those stone dealers!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Figure seventeen L looks like yours, so maybe theropod walking plantigrade? Btw these finds were in Texas

http://paleo.cc/paluxy/elong.htm

IMG_1914.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks guys, I'm very excited to go back. I didn't have much time to hang out and look but my buddy did text me yesterday with some more exciting news. "I was looking around my sales yard and found some cool stuff for you to look at when you come by next" now that I found this gem I will be turning every stone. 

45 minutes ago, Rob_P said:

Thanks guys, I'm very excited to go back. I didn't have much time to hang out and look but my buddy did text me yesterday with some more exciting news. "I was looking around my sales yard and found some cool stuff for you to look at when you come by next" now that I found this gem I will be turning every stone. 

Remember, I asked for 1 first. :D

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

4 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Remember, I asked for 1 first. :D

Haha I'll keep you in mind, I'm going back tomorrow.

2 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Wow!! Grade A track for sure! Congrats

Thanks bud, super excited! I'll have to show you the Santana formation fish I picked up too.

no triassic tracks in Ohio or Tennessee that I know of. Maryland sounds possible but wonder why rock would be hauled so far? Not impossible of course at that's the only explanation. Can we have some close-ups of the rock texture?

2 minutes ago, Plax said:

no triassic tracks in Ohio or Tennessee that I know of. Maryland sounds possible but wonder why rock would be hauled so far? Not impossible of course at that's the only explanation. Can we have some close-ups of the rock texture?

May I also say, I've seen quite a few Maryland footprints, as well as Pennsylvanian ones, and it doesn't look quite right. I couldn't tell you why though. Maybe the rock....

Happy hunting,

Mason

16 hours ago, ynot said:

Why just Him?

I would like to see it too!

Haha I'll post some pictures when I get home later.

1 minute ago, Plax said:

Rock at decorative and commercial stone suppliers is shipped in from all over the world, not just within the country. I don't get it but obviously people are buying it. When I get the piece back in my hands I'll post more pictures.

1 minute ago, WhodamanHD said:

May I also say, I've seen quite a few Maryland footprints, as well as Pennsylvanian ones, and it doesn't look quite right. I couldn't tell you why though. Maybe the rock....

I'm heading back to the stone yard later today, hopefully I'll have a definitive answer on location.

Hate to be the lone voice here, but I'm not 100% convinced it's a print. It is certainly convincing but it could also be a fortuitous shape in the rock. Tracks are easier to simulate than bones, teeth, or shells. I eagerly await any details on where the rock may have come from to see if the context makes sense.

But trust me: I want it to be a track. I love a good serendipity story, especially within paleo!

So just got home from the stone yard, my buddy who owns the place called the supplier in Tennessee and the stone is in fact from Maryland. We mentioned the print to him and he said every now and then they do find prints, most end up as partials due to their process but since they hand select, categorize and load the larger pieces such as my own they usually catch the complete tracks and keep them or give them away as gifts. He also mentioned this is not the first time he's received a call about this haha. I didn't really find much while there because my niece and nephew didn't want to hang in a stone yard all day but they did have fun collecting bits and pieces of shiny or interesting rocks. Once they found out about the Dino track they ended up flipping everyone of the Tennessee stones looking for tracks. They "found" three but I couldn't break their hearts and tell them they weren't tracks. 

IMG_1284.PNG

Archived