Mazon mystery

snolly50

I have about a dozen nodules in a tray in my backyard. There, they have resided for several years of benign neglect. They are pieces that refused to open after repeated cycles of freeze/thaw. I have long since forgotten what area of Mazon Creek these hale from. In an idle moment yesterday I took a rock hammer to 3 or 4 of the recalcitrant stones. One did open and provided the pictured mystery item. The smaller shard displays a decidedly convex interior object. The larger counterpart is, of course, distinctly concave. Sorry, the photos are the best images available due to the extremely shallow depth of field inherent in close-up photography. If anyone has a clue, please ID.DSC_4142acz.thumb.jpg.94039bdfeaba7b9d86448d3cfcfd52a8.jpg

DSC_4147acz.thumb.jpg.5faffe70010220795cce2be8b7980346.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Here's an additional image in an effort to show the 3-D nature of the object contained in the smaller shard.

DSC_4155ac.thumb.jpg.9abf126390969275f05e26be1dba2f85.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Unfortunately i don't believe your nodule split on a fossil bearing plane. You may need to take another whack at it. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

6 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Unfortunately i don't believe your nodule split on a fossil bearing plane. You may need to take another whack at it. 

I hadn't thought of that, thanks. It may well be just another layer. These nodules in general have be freeze/thawed enough so that the "rind," often seen, is long gone. However, the hemispherical nature of this object does kind of suggest a layer, as opposed to an object.