Need help Identifying a fossil my son found

Magoo30

While fossil hunting my son found a rock cracked it open and found these tiny little fossils, does anybody know what they are? 

20170704_182430.jpg

Depending on where they were found, these may be tentaculites. (There's another organism that looks very similar from the Ordovician, but the name escapes me at the moment). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Probably you are referring to Cornulites . :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You are welcome ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

looks like Tentaculites to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree with tentaculites, I've found a few that look almost exactly the same. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Depending on where they were found, these may be tentaculites. (There's another organism that looks very similar from the Ordovician, but the name escapes me at the moment). 

If I remember correctly, isn't tentaculites a cephalopod? That was my first thought immediately upon seeing it.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

If I remember correctly, isn't tentaculites a cephalopod? That was my first thought immediately upon seeing it.

Current hypothesis say that it is mollusk, although this is debated.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Interesting. The more you know.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

mollusk = clam, snail, slug, cephalopod....

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived