Spiral bone or tooth?

Lone wolf

Hello everyone I have an interesting bone or tooth I need help with. It's from Yazoo Clay (Late Eocene) Louisiana ,marine environment . It's 45.5 mm long and 8 mm across.Not sure what it is.

any information would be appreciated.

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

4 minutes ago, fossisle said:

Belemnite?

Not from the Eocene ;)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Could it be some type of coral? Or maybe alligator tooth? (I'm throwing out random suggestions to stir up the smart people's minds)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Another vote for petrified wood (you can see visible growth rings, similar to that of a tree trunk).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

4 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like a piece of a gorgonian. If you do a forum search with the word gorgonian, you will see a similar one that JohnJ found in the Cretaceous. I find similar ones in the Eocene of North Carolina.

Here's a link http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/17990-campanian-marine-mystery/

John J's piece lacks the concentric rings of this piece.

I still say it is wood.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

We do find small pieces of petrified wood occasionally  and it must be considered as a possibility but I'm not sold yet .  Correct me if I'm wrong but most wood is a solid growth ring from year-to-year this piece appears to be more of a spiral emanating from the center and there were at least 30  growth rings in a piece that is only 8 mm across I would consider that a very tight growth pattern for a plan ,  to me it has more of a shell look then petrified wood .  I would like to thank everyone for their input so for, I'll do a search on the gorgonian 

5 minutes ago, Lone wolf said:

We do find small pieces of petrified wood occasionally  and it must be considered as a possibility but I'm not sold yet .  Correct me if I'm wrong but most wood is a solid growth ring from year-to-year this piece appears to be more of a spiral emanating from the center and there were at least 30  growth rings in a piece that is only 8 mm across I would consider that a very tight growth pattern for a plan ,  to me it has more of a shell look then petrified wood .  I would like to thank everyone for their input so for, I'll do a search on the gorgonian 

Don't know if this is relevant, but when trees are in harsh habitats, perhaps dry or cold, they tend to have tight rings signaling periods of little growth.

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 minutes ago, Lone wolf said:

Difficult to say due to quality of image but I'm not seeing a spiral pattern here.

9 minutes ago, Lone wolf said:

Different woody plants have differing growth rates and during dry periods the growth can be restricted.

The appearance of spiraling is an artifact of the weathering that occurred on the piece (before or after fossilizing). If You look close at the ends You will see it does not have a spiral to the growth rings.

Still say it is wood.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

As Al Dente has stated it looks to be a gorgonian. You can clearly see the spiral twist and "growth rings" from this plate that Eric had posted in the other thread. Looks to be no doubt, at least to me. 

octocoral1.JPG.2710fc711876f7208b4e4690e22f9b6a.jpg

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

mashaas.jpg

During ontogeny("development/growth") they twist to keep orientated to the currents

Which is why such a transverse section is misleading,if you want to practice sclerochronology(age dating with biominerals)

Maximum age :a colony can become about 80 years old, with outliers to over 300 years

RARE FIND<WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Octocoral growth rings(2005)

14 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

I don't think it's a coprolite. Curious. :headscratch:

I agree, if late. The Yazoo has more than its share of scroll coprolites, but this ain't one of them.

Archived