New personal best from Rhode Island

Bguild

In between all of the 4th of July weekend barbecues I was able to make it down to Cory's Lane, Rhode Island for a few hours of shale splitting. The day started out slow with only a few small plant imprints found, but I eventually managed to rip up a 5 foot slab of rock with a larger fern section on one end of it. After cutting the slab down to a little over a foot and a half in length this Pecopteris arborescens manages to go down as the largest fern I've found at this locality! It was a nice start to the long weekend, but the real win was the awesome weather :D . 

595c4e66c7ca1_FullSizeRender(6).thumb.jpg.e888cddcf485292c05ad5883d6d68915.jpg

595c5099f0c06_FullSizeRender(7).thumb.jpg.87d15032ddb375b0d3148b6c032e7e6a.jpg

Beautiful find! :envy:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Beautiful! I'm real happy you made that excellent find. That's quite a distinctive looking fern. Congratulations!

Did you have any luck in the spot I was digging in a few weeks ago? It looked like there should have been more there.

I'm glad you had a good day in this great weather.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I see a tough to beat FOTM contender! Go for it!

Gorgeous:wub:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

@Pagurus actually this fern was found in almost that exact same spot. I think you stumbled upon a Pecopteris burial ground over there :D. I dug pretty far down into the beach this time though. 

What a gorgeous find!!!  :blink:   :envy:   :drool:   :wub:

This is, without a doubt, the best fossil I've ever seen from that site!!

Well done indeed!  :D

EDIT: IPFotM Candidate? ;) 

595c50999321d_FullSizeRender(7).jpg.df32f059ea19c3c4052b3284b80f84f0.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow... You all have come a long way from the scrappy bits that were all anyone expected to find at that site not too long ago.

That sure is a beaut. Awesome preservation. A real winner. Congratulations!

Thanks everyone! I'll have to find a neat way to display this one. It's much easier to find room for the smaller ferns I find haha.

On 7/5/2017 at 0:38 PM, Castle Rock said:

I can easily see why any collector would be very FROND of that fern!!  :hearty-laugh:

You sound like a peculiar someone I know that likes terrible puns.

And I like it. :dinothumb:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Beautiful!  Nice find!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful specimen! Not often do you find frond fragments of that size...

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Cheers everyone! If anyone ever feels like digging over in Rhode Island feel free to shoot me a PM :hammer01:

Archived