WhodamanHD

Looking for sites near Lake Wallenpaupack

WhodamanHD

I'm heading up to Lake Wallenpaupack, PA soon, and I was wondering if anyone knew about some fossil sites. I've heard of things in beltsville park, anyone have further information on that? I found this pike county geologic map, and it looks like milford is in the mahantango formation, so I'll look round there. Any info about the other formations as to their fossiliferousness? And what about Wayne county? Any information is greatly appreciated, feel free to PM me! 

GordonC

There is a location in Carbondale, get specific directions ( I've not successfully located it).

The Mahantango Formation parallels the Delaware River, the escarpment along the river is lower Mahantango and has few fossils. The upper Mahantango crops out is about a mile to the west.

In between is the fossiliferous middle Mahantango. Across the river in Port Jervis the Elks-Bronks park highest elevations (mid. Mahantango) are ok. If you look at my content the finds and approximate locations are given.  (As a bonus on the PA side there are some scenic waterfalls such as Raymondskill.) In NJ there is trilobite ridge in Montague.  In Millrift PA rr cut the beginning of the upper Devonian. Gordon

PS near Port Jervis the lower Helderberg Group.

WhodamanHD
2 minutes ago, GordonC said:

There is a location in Carbondale, get specific directions ( I've not successfully located it).

The Mahantango Formation parallels the Delaware River, the escarpment along the river is lower Mahantango and has few fossils. The upper Mahantango crops out is about a mile to the west.

In between is the fossiliferous middle Mahantango. Across the river in Port Jervis the Elks-Bronks park highest elevations (mid. Mahantango) are ok. If you look at my content the finds and approximate locations are given.  (As a bonus on the PA side there are some scenic waterfalls such as Raymondskill.) In NJ there is trilobite ridge in Montague.  In Millrift PA rr cut the beginning of the upper Devonian. Gordon

Thank you very much, I'll definitely be taking a look around a few of those places! 

WhodamanHD
GordonC

If you try Carbondale a brief report will be appreciated.

If you are interested we can take a hike to some locations near Port Jervis. If so follow up with a PM.

Gordon

WhodamanHD
6 hours ago, GordonC said:

If you try Carbondale a brief report will be appreciated.

If you are interested we can take a hike to some locations near Port Jervis. If so follow up with a PM.

Gordon

This trips gonna be a little short, so I'm going to pass on the hike this time, but I come here often so if I get the chance I will send you a PM on later excursions. I might, however get to Carbondale. If I do I'm definitely gonna leave a report.

sTamprockcoin

Carbondale is on the Northernmost edge of Lackawana County not really near Wayne County though you may drive close to it to get to Wayne. The PA fossil report showed one locality in Wayne County near Honesdale but I was never able to find it when I lived up near there. Most of that corner of PA (Susquehanna &  Wayne counties),  is unproductive "Bluestone" that has ripple marks and occasional plant fragments though finding the fossils is very hit or miss and they're usually well crushed or fragmented.  Don't even think about entering a bluestone quarry without several layers of permission as they tend to be family operations and well protected by firearms!

WhodamanHD
1 hour ago, sTamprockcoin said:

Carbondale is on the Northernmost edge of Lackawana County not really near Wayne County though you may drive close to it to get to Wayne. The PA fossil report showed one locality in Wayne County near Honesdale but I was never able to find it when I lived up near there. Most of that corner of PA (Susquehanna &  Wayne counties),  is unproductive "Bluestone" that has ripple marks and occasional plant fragments though finding the fossils is very hit or miss and they're usually well crushed or fragmented.  Don't even think about entering a bluestone quarry without several layers of permission as they tend to be family operations and well protected by firearms!

Yes,  went there and I was rewarded moderately, if I had spent more time I may have found more (but I would have feared for my well being, if you've been there, you know it's a little scary). The bluestone is mostly unproductive as you say, but I managed to find one well preserved plant fossil segment, and a few wore ones. The best one was on a boulder, blasted to produce a neighboring houses basement. I know it may not be great for fossils, but there is some places I have identified with thin bedded bluestone outcrops that I will probably work through. As for owner ship, the family has been near Lake Wallenpaupack for quite a while, so we know lots of the people that own these outcrops (not quarries though, so they are small). I hope to find some additional plants, and with luck maybe a eurypterid (or a piece of it). I know the Catskills produced them in some places, and one of the most successful groups of eurypterids was freshwater (as are the Catskills rocks). Thank you for your information and time!