Snail and something else. Sulphur River

CrazyDiamond

OK so far everything I've posted has not been a fossil.  I'm sure that this first one with the little snail dude is, but how about the second one?  I feel like I can see something on that rock and I'm not sure what it is. Also, is the snail a fossil or is he considered something else. These were all found in Ladonia Fossil Park in North Texas, Sulphur River,  Cretaceous period. 

IMG_0650.thumb.JPG.52b3682075adf18b116410e9b50f000f.JPG  

Neither of these are fossils. As suggested by fossil dude try joining a club or a least go collecting with somebody familiar with the fossils in your area.

• I found this Informative 2

Ok, but if the snail isn't a fossil what is it?  It isn't alive - is it like just nothing at all?  Just a rock?

They are both rocks, with mineral inclusions. 

Geology is a complicated science, with many different formations, crystals, and textures. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Both rocks look like they were in a stream. (tumbled)

The "snail" is made up of two things. The black "shell" is another stream tumbled rock (some type of quartzite). The "foot" looks like an insect larval tube and is holding the smaller rock in place. The reddish rock that they are on looks like an iron rich igneous rock. This is not the type of rock that has fossils in it.

The second rock looks like a mica schist, a metamorphic rock, also not the type of rock that holds fossils.

As Tim said, do a search here and familerize Yourself with the type of fossils in that area. It will help You in the search on the ground.

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Wow, ok, now  that is the last thing on the planet I would've thought it was LOL - but, I can see what your saying.  I'm still keeping him though, I'm gonna put him in my planter. Thanks again for everybody's help.