I've been making a series of fossil-formation "lockets". Little trinkets that look like a rock, and which open up to show fossils from the rock formation depicted. This Ediacaran Biota locket is my most complex, and most carefully researched piece to-date.

Right now I am considering what to do next... When I do an internet search for "famous fossil formations", the first result is for "Hell Creek". It's kind of tough to fit dinosaurs into these little lockets, but I am thinking I could get the K-Pg boundary plated (probably in Gold, since Iridium doesn't look all that different than pewter).

I'd love to hear comments, and suggestions on other formations that would be good to do (I already have Burgess Shale and Solnhofen Limestone).

ediacara-biopta-keychain-05.jpg

ediacara-biopta-keychain-08-labeled.png

ediacara-biopta-keychain-07-labeled.png

ediacara-biopta-keychain-09-labeled.png

Educational jewelry?

Inventive,and nicely made:ptero::faint:

Next one ,Madygen?

No wait:

KILWA!!!

edit :with my monicker, I JUST had to like this one,didn't I?

Chengjiang biota, Wheeler Shale, Fezuoata Formation, Kaili Biota, Oxford Clay, Green River Formation...the possibilities are endless.... :) 

Nice work! 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Really nice work! Also, neat one of a kind jewelry!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Cool jewelry! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

I believe I saw this on the auction site...?

I know you probably did it off the cuff but you need to check some of your spellings.

Very cool! Here are my suggestions(those not mentioned yet):

Cambrian: Sirius passet

Ordovician: Soom shale, Cincinnati series

Silurian: Much Wenlock limestone, any major Gutnish reef

Devonian: Hunsruck slate, Rhynie chert

Permian: Guadalupe reef complex

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 1:51 AM, Wrangellian said:

I believe I saw this on the auction site...?

I know you probably did it off the cuff but you need to check some of your spellings.

Thanks for letting me know! I have corrected all of the misspellings (I hope).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I have decided that my next piece is going to represent the Hell Creek formation... my main reasons for choosing this are that I want at least one of my fossil-lockets to contain dinosaurs, and that I like the idea of Gold-plating the layer which represents the K-Pg boundary. Below is an image which represents my current layout (this will open up like a book of pages as with the piece depicted at the top of this thread).

The progression from layer 4 (oldest) to layer 1 (newest) shows the change in fauna due to the passage of time and due to the climate becoming drier and more temperate (because of falling sea-level and the northward drift of North America). I hope my description of the piece makes sense. I welcome anyone's input on possible improvements to this layout (i.e. which species to represent).

hell creek fossil-locket layout-02

Thanks  for taking a look!

That looks like a really cool plan. The one thing I'd change is the Pterosaur. you say you want to add an Azhdarchid, but the one pictured looks more like Rhamphorhynchus. Azhdarchids have no teeth and their heads are huge. Maybe just having the skull of Quetzalcoatlus might be better.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

7 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

That looks like a really cool plan. The one thing I'd change is the Pterosaur. you say you want to add an Azhdarchid, but the one pictured looks more like Rhamphorhynchus. Azhdarchids have no teeth and their heads are huge. Maybe just having the skull of Quetzalcoatlus might be better.

Thanks! I changed the Pterosaur to Quetzalcoatlus as you suggested. I'm glad I posted here for advice! 

I always have to be a bit loose with the scale of the fossils, but I try to keep the relative scales right (at least within a given layer). 

I also changed the palm on the upper half of layer 3 to a cycad.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, taylorcustom said:

here are pics of the actual production piece. Thanks for all of your help!

K-Pg-extinction-keychain-packaging-02.png

Very nice. The end result looks fantastic. Just one small thing. There is a small spelling error on the image with the explanation of the subjects. Instead of auricaria it should be araucaria.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived