July 2017 - Finds of the Month

Fossildude19

Aaaaalrighty then.  Even though there are some really outstanding fossils this month, I will go ahead and post this.   This was found at the end of may but prepped out this month.  Just finished it a day ago.  Lots and lots and lots of rock to remove, but the more rock I removed the better it got!!!   This rock was found in the Fox Hills formation.  It was a really big rock!  The big ammonite is Hoploscaphites spedini, the two ammos below it are Discoscaphites conradi and the flat one on the left is a small Sphenodiscus.  You can see on the back side where it was exposed to the elements, (sittin in a small creek) but still,,,,  a really cool multi specimen.   I am quite happy with the way this one turned out!!!   And whoever wins,,,,,, more power to em. 

Hoploscaphites spedini

Discoscaphites conradi

Sphenodiscus sp.

Late Cretaceous, Fox Hills Formation

Found in South Dakota

DSCN1141.JPG

DSCN1142.JPG

DSCN1143.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...and the penny drops:faint:

Turning out to be a battle of the titans!

...I'm back.

4 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

...and the penny drops:faint:

Turning out to be a battle of the titans!

Your find has to be one of the greatest trilobites ever posted at TFF.

I'm already planning my vote for Invertebrate Fossil of the Year! LOL 

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Aaaaalrighty then.  Even though there are some really outstanding fossils this month, I will go ahead and post this.   This was found at the end of may but prepped out this month.  Just finished it a day ago.  Lots and lots and lots of rock to remove, but the more rock I removed the better it got!!!   This rock was found in the Fox Hills formation.  It was a really big rock!  The big ammonite is Hoploscaphites spedini, the two ammos below it are Discoscaphites conradi and the flat one on the left is a small Sphenodiscus.  You can see on the back side where it was exposed to the elements, (sittin in a small creek) but still,,,,  a really cool multi specimen.   I am quite happy with the way this one turned out!!!   And whoever wins,,,,,, more power to em. 

Hoploscaphites spedini

Discoscaphites conradi

Sphenodiscus sp.

Late Cretaceous, Fox Hills Formation

Found in ??

Hey Ron, 

You need to let us know where it was found,  ... and post before prep pictures. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I hope that @Fossildude19 can put these photos with the first ones?  I have no idea how to add more photos?   I forgot to add pre prep pics.

1st pic you can see the rock with tape and newspaper on it.  Newspaper was put there to protect the exposed portion of the big ammonite during transport. 

2nd pic is when I realized that this may turn out to be a purty dang nice multi specimen.

3rd pic is of the back to show that rock is being removed.

RB

DSCN1036.JPG

DSCN1118.JPG

DSCN1119.JPG

On 7/15/2017 at 9:45 AM, RJB said:

I forgot to add pre prep pics.

1st pic you can see the rock with tape and newspaper on it.  Newspaper was put there to protect the exposed portion of the big ammonite during transport. 

2nd pic is when I realized that this may turn out to be a purty dang nice multi specimen.

3rd pic is of the back to show that rock is being removed.

Yowza ,Yowza, Yowza, I gots it all together now. With My very own pre-prep show.

The rock is half open to show the ammonite. and I'll remove stone some more.

It is really something, that's what You'd probably say.

So smoke Your little smoke and drink Your little drink, while I prep the night away!

(With apologies to Frank Zappa.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Here is our submission for July.  These were collected yesterday, July 13th:

"Tiger Sponges"

About 25 years ago, we visited our very first fossil site on the Mogollon Rim in Arizona.  This site, in the Permian Kaibab formation - Fossil Mountain member - contains large robust chertized fossils in a very hard, no dissolvable dolomite matrix.  Found here are massive Productids, Meekella Brachs, tons of urchin material that is silicified in dolomite shrimp burrows, and of course - the gorgeous multicolored silicified glass sponges.  I dont know exactly how it started, but with all the oranges, blacks, red and banding patterns in the sponges, we started calling them "Tiger Sponges".  Of course that is not thier official name, but they are in fact Actinocoelia sp., that are Leucon Hexactanellid - Glass Sponges.  They are preserved in nodules of chert and are all over northern Arizona including the Rim of the Grand Canyon.  This time, with a keener eye and much more experience in the field, we set out to find some fine specimens of the sponges.  And we made some fantastic finds!  The colors are just gorgeous and will be for us our best finds of the month.

All specimens were photographed under water for improved photographic appearance.  Thanks for looking!

Actinocoelia sp.  Tiger Sponges,

Found on July 13, 2017.

Permian Kaibab Formation.

Fossil Mountain Member.

Mogollon Rim, Arizona.

DSC00547AzChris.thumb.jpg.6868cff61fe50e055b1da3f3b2861f03.jpg

DSC00537AzChris.thumb.jpg.8e6078d7329b7a45318c90393fb4cf5e.jpg

DSC00538AzChris.thumb.jpg.8abdbd7125df9d6e79da74ae6f2c5fcf.jpg

DSC00539AzChris.thumb.jpg.2f17193e8a2bbfeea8220c304fd0b4c6.jpg

DSC00542AzChris.thumb.jpg.f8b4d8ac6f3853f3ac17153b97ef94e2.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

Choosing the invert is gonna make my head explode. :blink:

The only tougher choice will be IPFOTY!

Verts need some more attention, though. Keep it up!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

RJB's ammonite specimen is absolutely stunning! But I really adore Raggety Man's trilo! Decisions will be tough!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

19 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

RJB's ammonite specimen is absolutely stunning! But I really adore Raggety Man's trilo! Decisions will be tough!

I second that fully!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Just over 1/2 way through the month and the competition is already insane!!  :trilosurprise: :drool:

Don

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, lizx said:

Thanks! 

lizx.......How the heck did you know it was in there???

1 hour ago, hrguy54 said:

The keel was showing on some parts and there were worn spines showing through on parts of it - once you get your eye in in the right conditions there are a few out there! 

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and fossicking in general. I thought I would share my recent find.

Took a while to get going but finally prepped via electric engraver and picks.

Found 29/05/17, prep started end of June and completed 19/07/17. 

Pachyrhizodus marathonensis

Lower Cretaceous Fish

Toolebuc formation

Richmond, Queensland, Australia

IMG_40443.thumb.jpg.23fd9f428cdaf34d149c7c7e5190d84c.jpg

IMG_3789.thumb.JPG.7f3b77be5fcdb0966b6ed54d2323a851.JPG

IMG_4041.thumb.JPG.cbb9054439b8fda1a0453aa06c19cbf3.JPG

Edited by Paleofan

3 hours ago, Paleofan said:

Ciao ragazzi,

Nuovo al forum e fossing in generale. Pensavo di condividere la mia recente scoperta.

Prendeva un po 'di tempo per andare, ma finalmente preparato tramite incisivi elettrici e pick.

Trovato 29/05/17, preparazione iniziata alla fine di giugno e completata 19/07/17. 

Pachyrhizodus marathonensis

Pesce cretaceo inferiore

Formazione Toolebuc

Richmond, Queensland, Australia

Great preparation

Weeklong home stretch! Hopefully can get an awesome meg from one of Summerville's meg layers in time!

@Fossildude19 @JohnJ Remember last July? Wonder if we can beat that record this year. ;)

OK, I will throw my hat in the ring with an invert this month.

This is only the 3rd dragonfly found at the quarry in 14 years, and the first found in the 18-inch layers

again, ZERO RESTORATION, is what makes this specimen so AMAZING!

Name: Dragonfly / Damselfly

Found: July 22, 2017

Formation: Green River Formation

Missing one small chunk on the body and a few knicks in the wings, this specimen is 100% NATURAL, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESTORATION!! This is how it split from the rock.

Lance has a section for Dragonflies / Damselflies in his book The Lost World of Fossil Lake. These are highly sought after insects!

With every cell on every wing visible, this dragonfly / damselfly will be one of the best for a very long time!

DSCN4879.thumb.JPG.3858be5b40bb1c6479d1ca2e7cff69f2.JPGDSCN4880.thumb.JPG.9ad4eb7ea887a3602d3cffae906416bd.JPGDSCN4881.thumb.JPG.ee409bec471c5c3b168adbd796f2d169.JPG

If you would like more close up pictures for voting purposes send me a PM ;) 

• I found this Informative 6

On 7/23/2017 at 10:34 PM, FossilDudeCO said:

This is only the 3rd dragonfly found at the quarry in 14 years, and the first found in the 18-inch layers

Missing one small chunk on the body and a few knicks in the wings, this specimen is 100% NATURAL, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESTORATION!! This is how it split from the rock.

Lance has a section for Dragonflies / Damselflies in his book The Lost World of Fossil Lake. These are highly sought after insects!

With every cell on every wing visible, this dragonfly / damselfly will be one of the best for a very long time!

Holy cow! Glad I'm going for a vert entry this time! :trilosurprise:

Incredibly detailed and majestic find! Don't find these buggers every day (eh, get it?)! Give yourself a big Pat on the back for this one as you deserve it!:dinothumb:

One of the best months for inverts ever i think! 

Decisions, decisions.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

On 7/23/2017 at 10:34 PM, FossilDudeCO said:

Wow! What's the wing breadth on that thing?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

11 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Still having trouble seeing it clearly on my monitor--I'll PM you with my postal address and you can send it over so I can have a closer look. :P

Bet that one made your day when it split. The 18th Layer has such a distinctive color/texture to it.

Cheers.

-Ken