Fossildude19

July - 2017 - Finds of the Month

55 posts in this topic

Weeklong home stretch! Hopefully can get an awesome meg from one of Summerville's meg layers in time!

@Fossildude19 @JohnJ Remember last July? Wonder if we can beat that record this year. ;)

OK, I will throw my hat in the ring with an invert this month.

This is only the 3rd dragonfly found at the quarry in 14 years, and the first found in the 18-inch layers

again, ZERO RESTORATION, is what makes this specimen so AMAZING!

Name: Dragonfly / Damselfly

Found: July 22, 2017

Formation: Green River Formation

Missing one small chunk on the body and a few knicks in the wings, this specimen is 100% NATURAL, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESTORATION!! This is how it split from the rock.

Lance has a section for Dragonflies / Damselflies in his book The Lost World of Fossil Lake. These are highly sought after insects!

With every cell on every wing visible, this dragonfly / damselfly will be one of the best for a very long time!

DSCN4879.thumb.JPG.3858be5b40bb1c6479d1ca2e7cff69f2.JPGDSCN4880.thumb.JPG.9ad4eb7ea887a3602d3cffae906416bd.JPGDSCN4881.thumb.JPG.ee409bec471c5c3b168adbd796f2d169.JPG

If you would like more close up pictures for voting purposes send me a PM ;) 

1 person finds this informative

11 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

OK, I will throw my hat in the ring with an invert this month.

This is only the 3rd dragonfly found at the quarry in 14 years, and the first found in the 18-inch layers

again, ZERO RESTORATION, is what makes this specimen so AMAZING!

Name: Dragonfly / Damselfly

Found: July 22, 2017

Formation: Green River Formation

Missing one small chunk on the body and a few knicks in the wings, this specimen is 100% NATURAL, ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESTORATION!! This is how it split from the rock.

Lance has a section for Dragonflies / Damselflies in his book The Lost World of Fossil Lake. These are highly sought after insects!

With every cell on every wing visible, this dragonfly / damselfly will be one of the best for a very long time!

DSCN4879.thumb.JPG.3858be5b40bb1c6479d1ca2e7cff69f2.JPGDSCN4880.thumb.JPG.9ad4eb7ea887a3602d3cffae906416bd.JPGDSCN4881.thumb.JPG.ee409bec471c5c3b168adbd796f2d169.JPG

If you would like more close up pictures for voting purposes send me a PM ;) 

Holy cow! Glad I'm going for a vert entry this time! :trilosurprise:

Incredibly detailed and majestic find! Don't find these buggers every day (eh, get it?)! Give yourself a big Pat on the back for this one as you deserve it!:dinothumb:

One of the best months for inverts ever i think! 

Decisions, decisions.