New find. Brachiopod ? or bivalve?

Rocky Stoner

This appears to be a section of the largest brachiopod or bivalve that I have seen here so far.

The ridges are near parallel in each direction and there is a very slight arc to the surface suggesting (to me) a relatively large specimen.

I did not see it in the link referenced earlier.

Does anyone recognize this one ?

The next post has a stranger in it as well. Almost looks like the hinge of a brachiopod, but not sure.

Thanks again.

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

Here is the other ...................

IMG_9735.JPG

IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

Possibly a flattened piece of an orthocone nautiloid with longitudinal ridges?

And a brachiopod.

Tarquin

The second one is a brachiopod hinge.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

cephalopod and Pentamerous sp. brach beak

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

4 hours ago, Rocky Stoner said:

This appears to be a section of the largest brachiopod or bivalve that I have seen here so far.

The ridges are near parallel in each direction and there is a very slight arc to the surface suggesting (to me) a relatively large specimen.

I did not see it in the link referenced earlier.

Does anyone recognize this one ?

The next post has a stranger in it as well. Almost looks like the hinge of a brachiopod, but not sure.

Thanks again.

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

Here is the other ...................

IMG_9735.JPG

IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

First one is hard to tell, but my guess knowing these rocks is likely some type of chonetid brachiopod.

The second is part of a spiriferid brachiopod, likely a Mucrospirifer mucronatus or maybe Spynocirtia sp. (I think that's the name of the other one).

Archived