My daughters and I went on what I thought would be a once in a lifetime hunt for Eurypterids over Memorial Day weekend this year. I wanted to share the bounty...595d58a734fa1_20170704_221818(1).thumb.jpg.b4e1706ae3d20eaf390fc2a18c90ad89.jpg18cm long

595d58a80ef32_20170704_222031(1).thumb.jpg.2cdeeb4080ef11d6a949e2eb09ce05c0.jpg20 cm

595d58a8dba42_20170704_222047(1).thumb.jpg.e2a8589840ac5b966c6bb57043ee9032.jpgcloseup of telson595d58a9bcc29_20170704_222152(1).thumb.jpg.8c88dc3d1fd2fb1164c0cb60173035b8.jpg

cool to get dorsal and ventral aspects of the prosoma, thanks to the plane of the conchoidal fracture

20170704_222108.thumb.jpg.707435cfd4bc3016e04f5ccbae799b20.jpg20170705_171744.thumb.jpg.aabbe0b5f4cb57bfceb52bbe3e526b01.jpg595d5939a51ce_20170704_224601(1).thumb.jpg.2968429e65c9447098f3066a42454693.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Langs, yes. I also this past weekend met a geologist who's particular fossil interest is Eurypterids, a good friend of Mr Nardi, Mr Lang's predecessor, and might get together with him to dig in a couple of spots in NY. He has a permit to dig on NYS Thruway property, so I will let you know if/when I go eurypterid hunting again. I grew up in Rochester in the suburb adjacent to Pittsford, and the Rochester papers would occasionally have news stories about new sea scorpion finds when 490 or 590 was being built, etc. I remember the Eurypterid exhibit at the Rochester Museum and Science Center when I was a kid...

Eurypterids have been on my radar for 40 years, but this was my first time collecting, and we are very happy with what we found.

• I found this Informative 2

Wow! Nice finds Dave! Congratulations!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Beautiful specimen, great find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

Langs, yes. I also this past weekend met a geologist who's particular fossil interest is Eurypterids, a good friend of Mr Nardi, Mr Lang's predecessor, and might get together with him to dig in a couple of spots in NY. He has a permit to dig on NYS Thruway property, so I will let you know if/when I go eurypterid hunting again. I grew up in Rochester in the suburb adjacent to Pittsford, and the Rochester papers would occasionally have news stories about new sea scorpion finds when 490 or 590 was being built, etc. I remember the Eurypterid exhibit at the Rochester Museum and Science Center when I was a kid...

Eurypterids have been on my radar for 40 years, but this was my first time collecting, and we are very happy with what we found.

Amazing DrDave:envy:

...I'm back.

Wow......incredible pieces! Conqgrats :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

@DrDave wow these are not easy to find and it seems like the only place you can get them are either near Fort Erie, ON or at Langs. If you don't mind me asking how much did you charge to:

A. Dig at the quarry

B. Take home those specimens

This information will be useful to those prospecting to go. Thank you. Excellent finds.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Man those are some great finds. I have a love for them too but don't have any. Cherish those memories with the family.

10 hours ago, DrDave said:

I would be too. :popcorn:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That's quite a decent haul! Even finding just one would be a trip-maker, for sure. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You did exceptionally well!!!   Really cool specimens.  I was at Lang's 3 or 4 years ago.  It was also on my bucket list.  I dont know what he charged you to take those home, but i was lucky enough to have some nicely prepped out crabs with me and was able to use them for trade.   But really, you did really good on that fossil hunt.

RB

That's a superb collection there. Big congratulations. Great to see that Lang's is still producing magnificent specimens.

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2017 at 5:49 PM, DrDave said:

How do you go about digging at Lang’s? Do you need special permission or a appointment to show up and hunt? Also I’m a huge eurypterid fan! I have a small specimen I found at a road cut in litchfield NY and I’d love to do more hunting! 

Al