Aquia Formation - Potomac River

RCW3D

Thanks to Facebook I realized the 1 year anniversary of this hobby obsession was on July 2nd. I haven't been out in the past couple of weeks due to overdue chores around the house...I hate it when adulting gets in the way of having fun! Anyway, after 5 days off for the holiday weekend, I really wasn't looking forward to going to work today...especially since I had to cross the river to the Maryland side to take care of some things at my home base. As I was getting ready to leave this morning, I decided to throw a pair of shorts and my water shoes in the car just in case...I wasn't expecting to get out early but you never know. Well, I was glad I did since I was out of there within 3 hours...off to the river I went!

I showed up just before low tide and quickly headed out. I wasn't expecting much after the holiday weekend, in fact, I was expecting a crowd when I showed up. I was shocked to find out that I was the only one on the beach...and the low 80s temperature and overcast conditions made it quite nice for collecting. Within 20 minutes I had found a croc tooth and an Otodus, I was pleasantly surprised. I kept moving along and in a particularly silty area, I spied a piece of a tooth. I reached down and grabbed it and was shocked to see that it was a Paleocarcharodon Orientalis! My first one! Happy dance!!!

I walked a couple of miles and was pretty happy with the finds, it truly is a great place to take kids as everyone finds teeth there.

Some in situ shots:

2.thumb.jpg.909f75dbf3110355fe8a4892fd25a07e.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.69dbb7c2444fc6a585c3136df8ce8a7f.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.282ffa54e345502d9ca380085c901369.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.33bbc21c53c2cb08deb2682c7032613b.jpg

I wish I would have taken a picture of this in situ...but I quickly took a picture when I saw what it was!

4.thumb.jpg.c9560d1339d6539a7c439d2b69981dac.jpg

Total haul:

1.jpg.db9cd6f25c85f48d18d7ba7153e2b0ac.jpg

Paleocarcharodon Orientalis, front and back.

7.jpg.36185225bdd1b65e26614810594181ab.jpg

8.jpg.765c5dd68c5e80b2535a9b8a5ad42be4.jpg

Couple of Otodus.

9.jpg.dd1d0c5e15728fa5f4f5f363b8a252ee.jpg

Croc tooth

10.jpg.5a4f754f67421d29960aa0ce430f8cf0.jpg

I'm thinking turtle on this...front and back pictures.

12.jpg.dd92f3ae1c84e1a55f798a33b6ad3e74.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.f10a9762c93efe844d1cc83519ac3dd1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Rob :D

@RCW3D I have never hunted on the Aquia but very much regret not doing so. @gavialboy tells me about it all the time and he trades me for stuff I have found at Bayfront. Perhaps some day I'll get to come back and personally collect some of those older teeth. I wonder why crocodile teeth seem so predominant there as opposed to Bayfront. I know they can be found at Bayfront or so I've been told but in all my years of collecting I've never found one. Otodus are not found there as those are older transitional sharks and the Aquia is much older than the formations at Calvert Cliffs. Excellent finds you have there. After living here for years I seriously regret never going there to collect. 

• I found this Informative 1

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

That paleocarcharodon is a great find,congrats:fistbump: I believe you're correct with turtle on the other piece as welll

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Wonderful pics and report!

Thanks for posting this. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the best trips are the ones you don't expect. Nice finds and pics too! I can never remember to take pics. I get too excited when I see something.

pretty good finds for the summer time Rob! We should get together soon, its been a while. And one of these days I'm gonna find a perfect Paleo C, one of these days

6 hours ago, Boneheadz said:

pretty good finds for the summer time Rob! We should get together soon, its been a while. And one of these days I'm gonna find a perfect Paleo C, one of these days

It has been a couple of weeks since I last went, and even that trip was more to check out an area than to search. I'm looking forward to some cooler temperatures before I start hitting it hard again.

12 hours ago, RCW3D said:

It has been a couple of weeks since I last went, and even that trip was more to check out an area than to search. I'm looking forward to some cooler temperatures before I start hitting it hard again.

Hey Rob @RCW3D,

Hope you are surviving the heat OK.

We guided a trip along the Paleocene and Eocene of the Potomac River a couple of Saturdays ago. Group did quite well with a plethora of shark and crocodile teeth found, though most were small. We (Mrs. SA2 and I) did very well personally, but we gave away everything we found that day except for 3 teeth. I found our very first Paraorthocodus clarki, so we added a new species to our personal collection. Mrs. SA2 found a really nice, complete 1 1/8 inch Otodus obliquus and a 1 3/8 inch croc tooth with just a little damage to the tip. Those are the only 3 teeth we kept from the days hunt. 

Another person in the group also found a Paraorthocodus and the other boat driver found his very first Palaeocarcharodon, on his birthday no less.

Was a great day on the river and we celebrated the new species in our collections and his birthday at a local restaurant / Tiki Bar in Colonial Beach for several hours around dinner time. Hopefully, this weekend I can get around to taking and posting some photos. 

Hope to catch up with you sometime soon.

Jack

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

11 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Hey Rob @RCW3D,

Hope you are surviving the heat OK.

We guided a trip along the Paleocene and Eocene of the Potomac River a couple of Saturdays ago. Group did quite well with a plethora of shark and crocodile teeth found, though most were small. We (Mrs. SA2 and I) did very well personally, but we gave away everything we found that day except for 3 teeth. I found our very first Paraorthocodus clarki, so we added a new species to our personal collection. Mrs. SA2 found a really nice, complete 1 1/8 inch Otodus obliquus and a 1 3/8 inch croc tooth with just a little damage to the tip. Those are the only 3 teeth we kept from the days hunt. 

Another person in the group also found a Paraorthocodus and the other boat driver found his very first Palaeocarcharodon, on his birthday no less.

Was a great day on the river and we celebrated the new species in our collections and his birthday at a local restaurant / Tiki Bar in Colonial Beach for several hours around dinner time. Hopefully, this weekend I can get around to taking and posting some photos. 

Hope to catch up with you sometime soon.

Jack

Hey Jack,

We slowed down some due to the heat, weekend family obligations, and a close family friend unexpectedly passing away that we had to travel for. My wife and I are working the pop-up trip next weekend, we are more than ready to get back out there, even if it is to guide others.

Congrats on the Paraorthocodus clarkii, we found a few last fall over at Purse. I say "we" but I'm pretty sure it was my wife or daughters that found them. I like to cover ground and they prefer to park in an area and comb through everything. I'm positive that the best one that we have was found by my wife. I have to go to Indian Head for work next week so I'm going to try to sneak a trip in.