Shark Tooth ID

Barasingha

Could you please ID this tooth for me?  Miocene, Calvert Cliffs.  1 1/16".  Thinking Mako? Thanks.

IMG_1289.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

Here is an answer I gave on another topic, with a tooth of the same species as yours.

Thinking mako isn't totally wrong...

The species Carcharodon hastalis has a complicated history behind its back. First, it was called Cosmopolitodus hastalis. Then, it was placed in the mako lineage, and got called Isurus hastalis, the broad-tooth mako. But recently, scientists have reconsidered this, and placed the species under the great white lineage. That's why it's now called Carcharodon hastalis, common names being extinct giant white or broad-tooth white. This species is also thought to be an ancestor of the great white, Carcharodon carcharias, passing through the transitional species Carcharodon hubbelli

Whether the broad-tooth white will stay in the great white lineage is unsure, and again it might change in the close future. 

For some reason, the 'mako' really sticks with collectors, maybe because it's easy to say and remember, and catchy. That's why many people still call it mako, even though this species isn't considered as a mako shark anymore.

In fact, the megalodon had a similar history, as in scientists don't really know what family it is in. Now it's called Otodus megalodon, but this might also change in the close future.

Paleontologists can't make up their mind :P

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

11 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Here is an answer I gave on another topic, with a tooth of the same species as yours.

Best regards,

Max

I've already read that post...It's a bit hard to understand at first, but it's a really interesting subject.

I vote for Carcharodon/Cosmpolitodus hastalis,as well.

7 hours ago, Guguita said:

I've already read that post...It's a bit hard to understand at first, but it's a really interesting subject.

I vote for Carcharodon/Cosmpolitodus hastalis,as well.

I don't think that the Cosmpolitodus genus still exists... I might be wrong 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2017 at 8:34 AM, Max-fossils said:

I don't think that the Cosmpolitodus genus still exists... I might be wrong 

Honestly, I really don't know...However there are sources that still use it.

Thanks Max:dinothumb:!I've a new research topic:D

On 7/18/2017 at 7:42 PM, Guguita said:

Honestly, I really don't know...However there are sources that still use it.

Thanks Max:dinothumb:!I've a new research topic:D

Haha, happy I could help :)

Max Derème