Kilts Rule

Ptychodus04

Last weekend, @BobWill was nice enough to take a bunch of us out for some ammonite collecting in the Lower Cretaceous Duck Creek Formation. 

We had received 3" of rain the day before so the water was a little high. That didn't stop the ammonites from showing up for the event. There were 8 of us and everyone found more ammonites than they wanted to carry. I wound up schlepping a 15" Eopachydiscus 2 miles through the creek to get it back to the truck! Thankfully, the largest Eo of the day at a VERY heavy 18" diameter was found only 200 yards from the truck.

My find of the day came in the smallest possible form. I believe to be in the possession of an Eopachydiscus protoconch. Once I prep it, I'll know for sure.

I'll post some photos here eventually, but I have one specifically for @JohnBrewer as we all know how much he loves kilts. :P 

This kilt has has seen over 50 nights of camping and multiple fossil collecting trips and hiking trips. 

IMG_4513.thumb.JPG.8e9ce1103b41e8171d90973c931d4857.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nice!! 

Can't wait to see the finds, Kris! :) 

Does the kilt come in the fire hose material? :P 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Does the kilt come in the fire hose material? :P 

I'm sure you could find someone to make that for you. :D This one is a very heavy cotton. I've even done some blacksmithing in it.

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Last weekend, @BobWill was nice enough to take a bunch of us out for some ammonite collecting in the Lower Cretaceous Duck Creek Formation. 

We had received 3" of rain the day before so the water was a little high. That didn't stop the ammonites from showing up for the event. There were 8 of us and everyone found more ammonites than they wanted to carry. I wound up schlepping a 15" Eopachydiscus 2 miles through the creek to get it back to the truck! Thankfully, the largest Eo of the day at a VERY heavy 18" diameter was found only 200 yards from the truck.

My find of the day came in the smallest possible form. I believe to be in the possession of an Eopachydiscus protoconch. Once I prep it, I'll know for sure.

I'll post some photos here eventually, but I have one specifically for @JohnBrewer as we all know how much he loves kilts. :P 

This kilt has has seen over 50 nights of camping and multiple fossil collecting trips and hiking trips. 

IMG_4513.thumb.JPG.8e9ce1103b41e8171d90973c931d4857.JPG

You know it's going to be a good day when there is "schlepping" involved. :hearty-laugh:

I'll leave the kilt jokes for the others.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Very nice! Haha... can't wait to see those ammonites!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

This kilt has has seen over 50 nights of camping and multiple fossil collecting trips and hiking trips

Good grief man. Your skirt must be due a wash by now! I hope you've changed your knickers at least. :rofl:

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Good grief man. Your skirt must be due a wash by now! I hope you've changed your knickers at least. :rofl:

You should know that you traditionally don't wear any knickers under a kilt.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

You should know that you traditionally don't wear any knickers under a kilt.

I was under the impression that was Scottish kilts rather than a piece of canvas with a belt that obviously needs washing... ;) 

@JohnBrewer For the record... knickers should always be worn when fossil collecting. The kilt has been washed after all the trips mentioned. :D It's not dirty, just stained from lots of rough use.

@Ludwigia I have never tried to put a kilt on a bear but everyone says I'm just like a bear so I guess I really have...

@ynot No real statement here, kilts are just too comfortable to not be worn.

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@Ludwigia I have never tried to put a kilt on a bear but everyone says I'm just like a bear so I guess I really have...

Yuk yuk :fistbump:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 7/6/2017 at 2:38 PM, JohnBrewer said:

If he's wearing knickers, then it ain't a kilt, it's a skirt. Kilts have nothing under them. 

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 9:28 PM, Tex said:

If he's wearing knickers, then it ain't a kilt, it's a skirt. Kilts have nothing under them. 

One slight correction... Kilts have boots and socks under them!

24 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I hope You have more than that hanging under that kilt!:P

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

It's off the shirts worn by the folks at one of the kilt vendors at the festivals.