Drill or tool for removing sediment

Rory

Hi, 

I have a load of amonite nodules and other bits, i really dont want to hammer them as i dont think i've got the right knack yet and i wont be going back there for a while, so want to excavate these specimens slowly and controllably.

Is there a reasonably priced pneumatic drill for gradual removal of sediment? Or any other advice for tools more delicate than a hammer!

3 hours ago, Rory said:

Hi, 

I have a load of amonite nodules and other bits, i really dont want to hammer them as i dont think i've got the right knack yet and i wont be going back there for a while, so want to excavate these specimens slowly and controllably.

Is there a reasonably priced pneumatic drill for gradual removal of sediment? Or any other advice for tools more delicate than a hammer!

@Rory 

I've moved your topic to the Fossil Preparation section. :) 

If you search the forum, you should find plenty about Engravers, air erasers, or pneumatic air scribes. ;) 

Cheap ones can be found on auction sites and tag sales, garage sales, and flea markets. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

When approaching a preparation scenario, there are a few concepts that you need to keep in mind. First, you are removing matrix from the specimen. Never attempt to remove a specimen from the matrix as you are much more likely to break it. Second, think chip away matrix rather than grind away. Chipping away allows you to use the natural desire of the rock to separate from the fossil when the right force is applied. This can be from a hammer and chisel, pneumatic or electric scribe, or abrasives.

There's no one size fits all for preparation tools. I have multiple tools that I use depending on the specimen and many specimens require multiple tools. If your matrix is hard, you can start with a small hammer and a large drywall screw (my personal low tech prep set up). If it's soft, you can employ dental picks or needles.

Archived